• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newbie2wood
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • NJ, USA.

Lumber Rack - Build or Buy?

I need to get some lumber off the garage floor and reclaim some of the space. I was thinking of building a lumber rack similar to Boyd's photo in the following thread:

This forum is the place to ask questions about a project you are working on or are planning.

I estimate my cost for lumber, bolts, and pipes to be about $30. However, Amazon sells a Triton Lumber Rack for $60.

To distribute the load of the lumber, I was planning to use three or four 2x4 for the vertical support. The Triton system uses two (metal coated) vertical supports.

Should I build it myself or just buy it?
    ________
    Club Royal Condo Pattaya
    Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 04:40 AM.
  • jdschulteis
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

I built mine using these heavy-duty shelf standards and brackets: http://www.johnsterling.com/aboutfastmount.htm.

You could probably match the capacity of the Triton for less money with them. They are galvanized versus the Triton's powder coating, if appearance matters to you.
    Jerry

Comment

• Jim Boyd
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
      • Delta Unisaw

I'd build one With just 2 vertical supports I'd wonder about bowing of stored lumber. The pipes in my rack are 24" apart. If you build don't forget to drill the pipe holes at a slight angle. The white pipe covering is to keep the black pipe or galvanized pipe from staining the lumber.
      Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Scottydont
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Edmonds, WA, USA.
        • Delta Industrial Hybrid

I'm with Jerry. I made one from the fastmount stuff. Very strong and versatile.
        Scott
        "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

Working...