Looking for workshop heating suggestions.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • plarval
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • Akron, Ohio, USA.

Looking for workshop heating suggestions.

I have a detached, uninsulated 2 car garage that doubles as my workshop. It is not hooked up with natural gas. My wiring won't handle a powerful electric heater while using some of my tools(I've tripped a fuse a couple times to prove it). So I'm looking for a portable propane something or another. Has anyone had any experience with these. I see some are on sale at Home Depot/Lowes for 50% off, but none of the torpedo style bullet heaters. How about those radiant jobs that screw right onto a propane tank. Do they really produce enough heat? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • gmack5
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

You might want to check these out.
    They're Self contained Propane, ventless heaters.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...8-2156-F274815

I think I would seriously consider insulating your Garage before you do anything else (walls AND ceiling). Otherwise it's going to cost you a fortune to heat the space.

Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
    Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
    George

Comment

• dlminehart
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • San Jose, CA, USA.

A well-insulated space that size (say 500 sq. ft.) can heat up and hold its heat pretty well, provided it's also well sealed against air leaks. The walls and ceiling would usually have R19 insulation, meaning heat would be lost at about 15% the rate of a plain wooden wall. Could make the difference in having a heater running only 10 minutes per hour vs running constantly.
      - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Ken Massingale
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Liberty, SC, USA.
        • Ridgid TS3650

I use a small ventless propane wall mounted heater. I believe it is 5/10/15k btu connected to a 100 lb. tank. (tank is outside) and the low setting keeps the 480 sq. ft. shop toasty.
        Consider insulating tho, insulation is the cheapest heating and cooling investment you can make, without it you're throwing $$$ out the door.
        ken

Comment

• tribalwind
          • Feb 2004
          • long island, ny.

im finally getting my woodburning stove setup,
          just need to attach the kindorf bar and chimney to the side of the garage, i got the pipe going through a window with a concrete wonderboard frame inserted in it..think it'll work fine and figured itd keep me more disciplined at discarding small scrap wood..
          im sure it'll be plenty hot,but im kinda hurting over all the space its taken up.. next winter i may have to think about replacing it with a ventless wall propane heater...seems i could fit that in the deep window box and feed it from a BBQ tank or something through the window. should be a bunch easier to move/store in the warm months.
          namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• tbarn
            Established Member
            • Jun 2004
            • PA, USA.
            • BT3100

I use a 2 burner propane heater that mounts to the top of a bottle like you mention. I also have a kero stove.
            My celing is insulated but only by 3/4 foil foam and the block walls are not.
            the heater does a nice job but only within a certian radius since there is no fan with it, most of the heat just rises.
            HD sells a quartz heater that is sold also at leevalley where they say that it uses very little electricity but is real good at heating areas directly below it. $40 at HD. I have thought about it but we are having a warm winter in PA so it is not as big of a deal this year.

Comment

• Kiwi Dust Mite
              Forum Newbie
              • Sep 2005
              • Hamilton, New Zealand.
              • AMAC Tablesaw

With these types of radiant heaters what is the risk likely to be of having a small dust fire or explosion. I thought the recommendation was for a heat source that was passive, central heating, wall radiator or similar?
              ....**It\'s better burn out than fade away**...

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                • Dec 2005
                • Russell, NY, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Living in northern NY when I built my garage/shop I used 2x6 walls, insulated the wall & ceiling, double glaZed windows and an insulated overhead garage door. I heat it when working with a small wood stove (great way to use up scrap wood) and then at night I have a propane vented wall heater that stays set on 50 degs. Nothing ever freeZes (not even the beer) even down to -20 degs.
                RuffSawn
                Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

Working...