• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txruby98
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006

Any good cabinet box-building plans?

hi

i was going to start making some cabinets and i was wondering if anybody had found a good source with some detailed plans on how to "make a box"? i was thinking that something with at least tongue-&-groove or better strength would be useful. i'm just starting out so the more detailed the better. Money is an issue, the free'er the better as well. I have to eventually make cabinets to fit 12-foot walls, so i was thinking of stacked cabinets, maybe.

any help or suggestions appreciated.

louis
  • jhart
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Danny Proulx has an excellent book "build your own Kitchen Cabinets" which shows/discusses building cabinets to basically any size you want/need. I bought it on Amazon for around $20.00. It's well written and good examples. After going through it, you can make cabinets/plans any size, etc., you want.
    Joe
    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• venkatbo
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Cupertino, CA, USA.

This is also a good book.
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...Fencoding=UTF8
      Recommended by our woodworking teach.

/venkat

Comment

• jbalders
        Established Member
        • Oct 2003
        • Vienna, VA, USA.
        • BT3100 + Shopsmith

I have the book Venkat mentions. It covers a lot of different methods and materials of making cabinets, face-frames, drawers and whatnot -- a cabinet for every occasion. I've read most of it, and like it, although new cabinets are still a ways off for me.

I have too many other unfinished projects to complete first before I can start on the kitchen cabinets. We moved into a single-owner, 50 year old house that was barely maintained. It still had the original kitchen and appliances, as well as the original bathroom fixtures (one of them has pink tiles, and green lav/toilet/tub, the other was yellow/blue). So much to do...

Jeff
        Jeff

BOFH excuse #360: Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.

Comment

• guycox
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Romulak, VA, USA.

The Kreg Pockethool Jig folks have an excellent booklet on building cabinets using pocket hole joinery...

http://www.kregtool.com/education_center/index.php
          Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
          What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

• vaking
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2005
            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

I want to add another book by Danny Praulx "Building Workshop Workstations". Also - at the beginning frameless cabinets are easier to make than framed. The easiest joinery for cabinets is bisquits. It is not considered fancy or high end but it is strong and functional. If you need some cabinets fast I suggest invest in a plate joiner.
            For some reason I don't see Tongue and Grove joint in furniture much. People use Mortice and Tenon for frames or Rail and Stile for doors. T&G is what holds together hardwood floor. All of these joints will require you to get a good router and table and some fancy bits. Plate joiner is cheaper.
            Alex V

Comment

Working...