• Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by LarryG

quote:Originally posted by stewchi

It also possible to vent you dust out of the shop the way a dryer does. There for eliminating the filter.
    Couple of caveats there, though.

Venting sawdust to the outside air is illegal in some areas; or if not actually illegal but you have neighbors nearby, maybe not good public relations. I could get away with it where I live, and may use this approach when I build my new shop. OTOH ...

... if you heat or cool your shop and vent your DC to the outside, it will cheerfully remove not only all the dust and chips but also all your conditioned air.
    How would one do this using a 2hp double bag system such as the one sold by HF or Grizzly. I assume I leave the bottom bag on (or would I now use a plastic bag on bottom?) but how do I vent the fine dust outside? I have no neighbors and shop is detached and away from home. I plan on putting DC in top of shop, about 10 ft off floor, and using remote gates from PennState to activate DC. Thoughts on any of this?

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Jeffrey,

Poor wording on my part. The usual way of "venting" a standard two-bag DC to the outside is to place the unit itself outside. This might be in a closet-like enclosure, or under a wide roof overhang. The main duct run that feeds the DC goes through the exterior wall and connects to the unit.

With the unit outside, you don't have to worry about the quality of the bags, since any dust that gets pumps through the fabric floats away on the breeze. The noise the DC makes is also outside the main shop, a nice secondary benefit.

With outdoor cyclones, the large debris is usually collected in a barrel, as usual, and the fines are simply vented to the atmosphere rather than sent to a bag or filter. This is actually the setup I would like to use when I build My Next Shop. I will probably not cool the shop in summer, so losing the conditioned air won't be a problem most of the time. But I'm going to have to figure out what to do during the winter, because I do want the shop to be heated. Most likely, I will use my current 2HP HF DC whenever the heat is on and use the outdoor cyclone when not.
      Larry

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by LarryG

Jeffrey,

Poor wording on my part. The usual way of "venting" a standard two-bag DC to the outside is to place the unit itself outside. This might be in a closet-like enclosure, or under a wide roof overhang. The main duct run that feeds the DC goes through the exterior wall and connects to the unit.

With the unit outside, you don't have to worry about the quality of the bags, since any dust that gets pumps through the fabric floats away on the breeze. The noise the DC makes is also outside the main shop, a nice secondary benefit.

With outdoor cyclones, the large debris is usually collected in a barrel, as usual, and the fines are simply vented to the atmosphere rather than sent to a bag or filter. This is actually the setup I would like to use when I build My Next Shop. I will probably not cool the shop in summer, so losing the conditioned air won't be a problem most of the time. But I'm going to have to figure out what to do during the winter, because I do want the shop to be heated. Most likely, I will use my current 2HP HF DC whenever the heat is on and use the outdoor cyclone when not.
        Using 2 HP HF DC (or any other bag type system) Could one use a trash can cyclone, pre or post propeller, and simply run the output of the cyclone outside?

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Jeffrey, others here have successfully used trash can separators with the 2HP HF DC. I've not done so myself, but based on what I've read from others, what you propose should work.

You might want to start a new thread that explains exactly what you have in mind, what your limitations are/aren't, and see what folks have to say. With this exchange being buried here at the end of a thread about a wall-mounted dust collector, you may be missing out on some valuable input.
          Larry

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

That's the David Marks does it.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/wk_pla...278287,00.html

If you look at the bottom of the page you'll see a tiny photo of his outdoor cyclone.

JR
            JR

Comment

• maxparot
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
              • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I have the HF 2hp DC w/ Wynn canister and a trash can seperator. The system works if you use 4" pipe for plumping. If you were to use 5" or 6" pipe the separator would be emptied and the DC would fill up.
              seting up the DC outside the shop shouldn't be a problem as long as it is sheltered from the weather.
              Opinions are like gas;
              I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

Working...