• Show
Clear All
  • jhart
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Dust collection for RAS and Miter Saw

Have been finalizing getting my HF collector/Wynn conversion set up. What have any of you used/made to collect the dust from a RAS and/or a miter saw on a basic stand. The RAS is an older Craftsman. Do the hoods sold in the stores work or should I be looking at building a customized unit?
    If you have any pictures of your setup, they would be appreciated.
    Joe
    "All things are difficult before they are easy"
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

RAS and Miter saws are tough to get good collection on. I used a Big Gulp for my Mitersaw and Lathe. The Idea being get what you can with the DC and there is less to sweep/ vacuum off the floor.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

Joe,

My radial arm saw (a Ryobi R-200) and my miter saw both have a small dust port on them. I have a drop from my DC that serves both tools. I have a t with one side a small flexible pipe I move to the tool I am using at the moment and the other side of the t comes straight down to the area of the bench behind the two saws (they sit side by side). I sloped the area behind the saws so that the lowest area is where the 4 inch drain pipe is. I used to have a baffle of plywood surrounding the general area but it is gone now due to other restructuring of the workbench area.

This kind of works. It does not get everything unless I push the leftover dust into the 4 inch pipe. I do not get a lot of buildup, however, and have no noticable dust in the area. I think it would work better if it was not so open but the saw has to have space to work too.

Jim

Comment

• Popeye
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Woodbine, Ga
        • Grizzly 1023SL

I had a commercial hood from sears on my ras while using a Shop vac, when I went to the HF DC I made a sort of box to fit behind it. The MS just didn't work well enough with the box so I hooked up the small shop vac I had been using for it. The hose here from the MS has been re-routed to the small vac. Pat
        http://bt3gallery.fhauto.com/view_ph...lbum70&id=DH_1

Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I do not currently have my RAS set up. I too have and old Craftsman (1974). When it was set up in my last home, I blocked in the area behind the fence so dust wouldn't collect in the base. Then I had a sheet of tile board (masonite, cheap stuff) against the back wall and had it sort of funnel down to a box under the bench. Sort of looked like this | |
          /

Basically, the dust just slid off the wall and down into the box. I only hooked the vac hose to the elbow on the upper guard. Overall, it wasn't perfect, but it got the biggest percent and when I was through I'd just disconned the hose from the upper guard and vac the bench a bit and then dump the contents into the box under the bench for later disposal.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• lrogers
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mobile, AL. USA.
            • BT3000

I also used a "Big Gulp" for the mitersaw. It works fairly well when hooked up to the dust collector with a 4" hose; not as well when hooked to the shop vac.
            Larry R. Rogers
            The Samurai Wood Butcher
            http://splash54.multiply.com
            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Whaler
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Sequim, WA, USA.
              • DW746

It's not pretty but does the job. A 4" aluminum dryer vent fitting from HD.

Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

Tabletop Dust Fitting

Sorry for the long URL

Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• jhart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Thanks for the replys. Have the Rockler hood for the MS and it does a so-so job
                  The real problem is when you swing the RAS and MS to 45 degrees, the dust
                  blows all over and isn't caught by the hood. Not as bad for the MS, but not
                  good with the RAS.
                  Been experminting with making an oblong box. Current one attaches the duct
                  from the side. Doesn't work to well. Not enough suction for the far 1/2 of
                  the box. May try something with the duct in the bottom center of the box.
                  Or might try having 2 ducts hooked up on the bottom on each side. Will
                  report on how it works.
                  Joe
                  "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

Working...