Planer Stand anything special to consider?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom.Trout
    Established Member
    • Nov 2005
    • lower 48, USA.

Planer Stand anything special to consider?

I just got the Ryobi 13" planer (on sale for $174)

Anything special to consider for a base/stand (never had a planer before) ???
    This is my signature line... aka; Hitachi Bandsaw Owner
  • onedash
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

I just have mine clamped to an old heavy duty office table. The front is flush with the edge and I used C clamps on the two corners. I can slide the table over or move it at an angle when I have long boards to put through.

YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• jhart
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I've got mine on a heavy duty steel legged stand. The legs are in an oblong pattern and gives it great stability. Also put it on rollers, as I don't have much room in the shop, but the set I used is only so-so. Bought a couple of the Herc-u-lifts, one for the 3100 (works great) and one for the planner stand, but turned out not to be able to fit the existing planner stand. Thinking of building a new planner stand so I can use the Herc-u-lift.

In any event, you want the stand to be plenty sturdy
      Joe
      "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

There was a thread about this not long ago; unfortunately I just tried a search but couldn't think of a search phrase that wouldn't return about a million hits, like the word "planer" does. Anyway, some of the points I remember being mentioned:

Planers are heavy enough to be back-breakers, so putting it on a stand of its own that doesn't require any lifting is well worth building or buying.

Some people like to have the planer's infeed/outfeed tables just slightly higher than anything else in the shop, so long stock can feed through without running into something. Especially important if you have a cramped shop.

Others (like me, although I currently have the above arrangement) think the planer's tables ought to be at about wrist height, since lifting long/heavy boards up onto a higher infeed table can get real old real quick.

Planers are not something you use as frequently as, say, a miter saw or table saw, so flip-top stands with the planer on one side and some other tool on the other make a lot of sense in small shops.

One member ... I think it was Knuckles but am not certain ... built a stand that is like a base cabinet with a "drawer" opening just under the planer, except there's no drawer. The opening is used to pass planed material back through to the infeed side, so the next pass can be made. Pretty neat idea.

EDIT: Aha! Look here:

http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topi...s=planer,stand

(Wish I'd found that earlier, could've saved myself a lot of typing ...)
        Larry

Comment

• MBG
          • Apr 2003
          • Chicago, Illinois.
          • Craftsman 21829

I just slightly modified my un-used BT3100 leg set to build a stand and put it on a mobil base (these stands can be had for almost nothing). It put the planer at the perfect height for me.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

I put mine on the bottom portion of a tool box. Works like a champ, even without locking casters. In fact, I now think that those Craftsman cabinets, which are frequently on sale for ~$100 are the way to go.

JR
            JR

Comment

• Bollox
              Established Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

quote:Originally posted by MBG

I just slightly modified my un-used BT3100 leg set to build a stand and put it on a mobil base (these stands can be had for almost nothing). It put the planer at the perfect height for me.
              Thats exactly what I've done too. I have a Herculift under mine and it works great, very easy to poke it in the corner when I'm not using it. I think the height is perfect.
              Mike

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Mine's a little crazier than most of y'alls. In my redneck workshop, I took the old kitchen table that was in the house when we moved in, removed the porcelain plated top and put 5/8" ply on the top. Turned it over and put small casters on it. Works pretty dang good, but will be better once I brace the legs a little. Total cost: FREEBIE, ZIP, ZILCH, ZERO, NADA!!!

Seriously, I think once my new 12" Craftsman Euro saw comes in, I will take the HF stand the 9" is on and modify it a little to take the planer. Then, I'll take the table and use it as my assembly table. A little small, but should do the job. BTW: I have the Delta 13" planer, model 22-580. Great little planer...SWMBO got it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago along with the Delta JT360 jointer.
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Cody.h
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                  • BT3100

I did what JR did and mounted my Ryobi to the top of a cheap craftsman tool box I've had for years.It is pretty high though so may not be the best solution. I haven't used it much yet so I can't comment yet but it sure makes it easy to slide outta the way in my super crowded shed err shop.
                  The truth is just the truth.

Comment

• zootroy
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

I too got one of the Ryobi planers.
                    I am going to build the "Wood Planing Center" that is in the Wood magazine special "Workshop Solutions". It is a base cabinet with flip-up infeed and outfeed tables for the sides. I was going to add a shelf or two to store some other small bench-top tools.
                    It's on the stands at HD and Lowes, check it out next time you go through.

Comment

• Thom2
                      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Stevens, PA, USA.
                      • Craftsman 22124

My planer is stored under one of the beds of my jointer (ussually, sometimes, uhhh .... *whistles innocently*)

anyway, when I do need to use it, I've found that it fits almost perfectly on an OLD B&D workmate that was my grandfathers, I just put the clamp pegs at the furthest 4 corners and clamp the planer in place. It's kind of a pain liftin' it up and liftin' it back off, but it works really well until I can find a better solution.
                      If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                        • Delta Unisaw

quote:Originally posted by JR

I put mine on the bottom portion of a tool box. Works like a champ, even without locking casters. In fact, I now think that those Craftsman cabinets, which are frequently on sale for ~$100 are the way to go.

JR
                        Mine also.
                        Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

Working...