• Show
Clear All
  • axio
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Castro Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3100-1

ShopVac Hose Lenght

I currently use a shopvac as my only source of dust collection. The HF version of a 5 gallon bucket lid came in the mail today. I was wondering how much of a difference does the lenght of the hose matter in terms of the suction power?
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by axio

I currently use a shopvac as my only source of dust collection. The HF version of a 5 gallon bucket lid came in the mail today. I was wondering how much of a difference does the lenght of the hose matter in terms of the suction power?
    Regular vacuum hose has a fair amount of resistance to air movement due to the internal corrugations, so I'd try to keep the runs as short as practical. That being said, a lot depends on the hose diameter. I've used a five-gallon separator with five feet of 2 1/4 inch hose to the sep and 15 feet to the vacuum.

YMMV, void where prohibited, professional driver on a closed course.

Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• mschrank
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2004
      • Hood River, OR, USA.
      • BT3000

Bob,

Others here have commented that they didn't have much luck with the small (5-gallon bucket) separator. I think the problem was that once it caught the first bit of chips & dust, the rest went right on through to the vac.

Have you had better luck?
      Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Axio,
        Any air pump is characterized by two numbers: amount of airflow and suction or static pressure. A good dust collector needs a lot of airflow and just enough suction, this is what it takes to collect dust well. To collect larger chips you need the opposite, plenty of suction and just enough airflow. Real dust collectors have at least 600cfm of airflow but more is better. Shopvac is a type of pump that is always short on airflow (the biggest shopvac has 400cfm) but has more static pressure than any dust collector needs. That is why shopvac and dust collector are poor substituts for each other and workshop usually have both. The length of a hose is critical when you run low on static pressure, for a shopvac this should not be an issue. The amount of airflow is important for cyclone type dust separator like you just bought. Too much airflow will suck all the dust right through the separator into the DC(shopvac) making separator useless. The more airflow requires bigger diameter cyclone. The lid you bought is definitely too small for any real dust collector, it may or may not be too small even for shopvac - that is what Mschrank commented on. In your case - the concern is not how long hoses are - I am sure you have enough pressure; but whether your shopvac is small enough for this lid. If you ever upgrade your shopvac to an impeller type collector - this lid will go into garbage.
        Alex V

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by mschrank

Bob,

Others here have commented that they didn't have much luck with the small (5-gallon bucket) separator. I think the problem was that once it caught the first bit of chips & dust, the rest went right on through to the vac.

Have you had better luck?
          Wellll... I cheated. I cut the bottom out of two five gallon buckets and glued them together Oh, and glue the bottom bucket's cover on. The slight hourglass taper seems to act almost like a cheezy cyclone. Can get the bottom bucket almost full before everything start to transfer to the vac.

Bob

Comment

• axio
            Established Member
            • Feb 2005
            • BT3100-1

Alex, I have two shopvacs actually. A really small Ridgid one, and a slightly bigger one. I think they're the 6 gallon and the 12 gallon? 3hp and 5 hp? I can't quite check it right now as I'm at work. Would these be fine with a small 5 gallon bucket?

Bob, when you cut out the bottom of the buckets, how flush did you make it? Did you cut out the entire bottom, or was there essentially a lip around the sides as well? What kind of glue did you use?

Comment

• BobSch
              • Aug 2004
              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
              • BT3100

Alex, I have two shopvacs actually. A really small Ridgid one, and a slightly bigger one. I think they're the 6 gallon and the 12 gallon? 3hp and 5 hp? I can't quite check it right now as I'm at work. Would these be fine with a small 5 gallon bucket?

Bob, when you cut out the bottom of the buckets, how flush did you make it? Did you cut out the entire bottom, or was there essentially a lip around the sides as well? What kind of glue did you use?
              I cut off the entire bottom of both buckets and used some construction adhesive I had lying around. The whole job was a quickie, just used it until I got my HF DC.

Bob

Comment

• axio
                Established Member
                • Feb 2005
                • BT3100-1

Thanks Bob. Did you try the unit with just 1 bucket? Did that work ok? I'm assuming the 3 hp vacuum will be weak enough to not suck everything out of the 5 gallon bucket, right?

Comment

• BobSch
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Thanks Bob. Did you try the unit with just 1 bucket? Did that work ok? I'm assuming the 3 hp vacuum will be weak enough to not suck everything out of the 5 gallon bucket, right?
                  I used it with an OLD Sears shopvac (not sure how big) and just one bucket for a short time. But I emptied the bucket every night, so it never really got a chance to fill up.

Bob

Comment

• vaking
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Only test will tell. Should be easy to test though.
                    Alex V

Comment

Working...