Who else uses their BT3xxx as a WORKBENCH?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Modfatha
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2004
    • Modesto, CA, USA.

Who else uses their BT3xxx as a WORKBENCH?

I have limited space; certainly not enough for a nice big work bench.

So..

Just drop the blade, take off the fences and you got yourself a mobile workbench. Anyone else do this as much as I do?
    \"Substituting caffeine for sleep since 1999.\"
  • rickd
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
    • Ryobi BT3100

can't say i ever have. i just looked at the top of my workbench and tried to imagine how my bt3100 would look if i treated it that way. i do a lot of gluing on my bench and even with a temporary 1/8 hardboard top clamped on i still seem to get a little glue in places i don't want it. so, i keep away from my bt3100 except for sawing!!

do you put a piece of mdf or something on top of the table?

rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• dkhoward
      • Dec 2003
      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
      • bt3000

Since my bt and its attached outfeed table sit in the middle of my rather small shop, I am sometimes forced to use it as a work surface, mostly when I am gluing up large projects. I always make sure that the saw is covered. Lately I have been in the habit of throwing a furniture moving blanket over the saw and the outfeed table if I am doing glue, sanding or finishing. THe blankets are cheap at HF, are good padding, absorb spills or drips and protect both the saw and my work piece.
      Dennis K Howard
      www.geocities.com/dennishoward
      "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• Modfatha
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2004
        • Modesto, CA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by rickd

can't say i ever have. i just looked at the top of my workbench and tried to imagine how my bt3100 would look if i treated it that way. i do a lot of gluing on my bench and even with a temporary 1/8 hardboard top clamped on i still seem to get a little glue in places i don't want it. so, i keep away from my bt3100 except for sawing!!

do you put a piece of mdf or something on top of the table?

Wow.. good call on both suggestions; mdf and padding. I think I will start to do this.

I currently dont place my workpieces directly on the saw. I usually put them up off the surface of the saw by using two lengths of 2x4 or 4x4 to minimize surface contact with the workpiece. I figure the less I have anything touching the workpiece the less chance I have to F it up.

Comment

• Modfatha
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2004
          • Modesto, CA, USA.

BTW.. this is the project I am working with on my saw. http://www.solutionsic.com/weblogs/j...working_posts/

Comment

• dkhoward
            • Dec 2003
            • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
            • bt3000

Great looking bed . . . . I am a real fan of mission style furniture!
            Dennis K Howard
            www.geocities.com/dennishoward
            "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

My saw is a workbench when not being used. I've already thrown butchers paper on it, a few slats and used it as a drying rack for some stain and poly projects.

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I avoid doing glue-ups atop my BT, but I do sometimes use it as a work surface for stuff like drilling holes and driving screws, and cutting biscuit slots. I also use it as a "staging table" for pieces I'm shooting through the thickness planer or jointer, since both of these tools are immediately adjacent. But in general I keep the top clear, so it'll be ready for use at a moment's notice.
                Larry

Comment

• monte
                  Forum Windbag
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                  • GI 50-185M

quote:Originally posted by Modfatha

BTW.. this is the project I am working with on my saw. http://www.solutionsic.com/weblogs/j...working_posts/
                  Nice looking project you're working on there. Be sure to post the finished pictures.
                  Monte (another darksider)
                  Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Bulkley
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2005
                    • British Columbia, Canada.

I use my table saw for glue ups. The saw is flat! Of course, I cover it. Also, I have a spare piece of plywood which I lay over the saw when doing a variety of projects.

The one thing I never do is hammering on/or near the saw or extension table.

Comment

• maxparot
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

With a wide table kit and a solid core door running the full width as an outfeed table the saw is just to handy to use as a work surface.
                      I try to keep it to the outfeed table for the most part but not always. Any time there is a chance for slop whether glue, paint or another chemical I cover it.
                      For assembly padding material I'll use a couple of coregated card board sheets taken from large boxes. If it's wet or spray I keep a roll of painters plastic (disposable drop cloth)
                      Opinions are like gas;
                      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• scmhogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000

I used to. One day I was routing a channel for a tambour using the SMT with a non-slip pad. Seems the bit came loose and I didn't immediately notice the aluminum shavings on top of the wood. It doesn't affect the operation, but it is ugly.

Now I use the sled as an extra surface if needed.

Steve
                        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Tom Miller
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • Twin Cities, MN
                          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

This probably doesn't count so much as using it as a workbench, but I definitely set a lot of stuff on it; especially with the wide table end of it being really close to my lathe.

With a 2.5' x 4' outfeed table, though, I know I have a total of ~4' x 6' to use as an assembly table if I ever end up making anything that big. Should be a hoot when I realize it won't go out the door, though. [B)[:0]

Regards,
                          Tom

Comment

• Modfatha
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Nov 2004
                            • Modesto, CA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by scmhogg

I used to. One day I was routing a channel for a tambour using the SMT with a non-slip pad. Seems the bit came loose and I didn't immediately notice the aluminum shavings on top of the wood. It doesn't affect the operation, but it is ugly.

Now I use the sled as an extra surface if needed.

Steve
                            wow! nice gouge!

Comment

• John Hunter
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                              • BT3000 & BT3100

Mine has the table extension and an outfeed table so it gets used as a work bench all the time.
                              John Hunter

Comment

Working...