• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom.Trout
    Established Member
    • Nov 2005
    • lower 48, USA.

What? Garage shop wall paneling after insulation

The shop is getting very cold, -12 this week. I am thinking of insulating and then paneling over the insulation but with what.

What are your shop walls paneled with???

This is my signature line... aka; Hitachi Bandsaw Owner
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

I'd go with 1/2" plywood or siding if I were doing a new shop. solid and you don't have to worry about finding studs to hang all the stuff you know you're gonna want to hang on the walls. Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Anything but gypsum board, basically.

Plywood, OSB, pegboard, cheap prefinished paneling, 1x6s (especially if they're T&G: that'd make a wonderful shop wall) ... whatever fits your budget. At Pat says you ideally want something solid enough to allow you to hang stuff anywhere, not just at studs. But if you can't afford that you still want something durable enough to stand up to the conditions it will encounter in a shop.

You should probably check your local codes to make sure gypsum board isn't required. With a fully detached garage it probably will not be, unless the building is unusually close to a property line.
      Larry

Comment

• Bulkley
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2005
        • British Columbia, Canada.

How are you going to insulate those garage doors?

Comment

• Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

In another similar thread, someone mentioned how plywood can be taken down a lot easier than gypsum when you need to rewire, etc.

Regards,
          Tom
          p.s. Closing those garage doors was a step in the right direction!

Comment

• sacherjj
            Not Your Average Joe
            • Dec 2005
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Other than making sure the garage door makes a complete seal, I'm looking at this for insulation on my garage door:
            http://insul.net/prod_astrofoil_all.html

On of my GF's family members used this and had the garage converted into an overflow room for Thanksgiving. It did a really good job with insulating the door.
            Joe Sacher

Comment

• Bulkley
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2005
              • British Columbia, Canada.

Good idea, Joe. If one of those doors is not used, I'd replace it with a stud wall and insulate it properly. Or, put up a "temporary" plug that could be removed when necessary.

Comment

• Tom.Trout
                Established Member
                • Nov 2005
                • lower 48, USA.

I am planning on just hanging an insulated blanket in front of them. I need to be able to open them to get big stuff in and out of the shop.

quote:Originally posted by Bulkley

Good idea, Joe. If one of those doors is not used, I'd replace it with a stud wall and insulate it properly. Or, put up a "temporary" plug that could be removed when necessary.

Comment

• dlminehart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • San Jose, CA, USA.

I used 1/2" OSB, would use plywood (maybe only 1/2") if doing it again (but I only needed 5 sheets). Used drywall screws to hang it, and was glad I did, as I had to pull a panel off in order to do some wiring changes. I painted my walls eggshell (washable) white, and the whole room is so much brighter than when it was just raw wood.
                  - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Wood_workur
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2005
                    • Ohio
                    • Ryobi bt3100-1

plywood would work. I would draw/paint some sort of indicater of where the studs are, or leave the screwheade showing, and unpainted, so when you go to hand stuff on the wall, you know where thw studs are.
                    Alex

Comment

• monte
                      Forum Windbag
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                      • GI 50-185M

I used 1/4" OSB on my walls.
                      Monte (another darksider)
                      Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• bigfoot15
                        Established Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • edmonton, alberta, Canada.
                        • BT3100

I am in the middle of putting 7/16" OSB on the walls and found a good deal on 4x6 sheets of 3/8" thick that I should be able to one-man into place on the ceiling. ..Being 6-5 is sometimes useful.
                        WOOD WORKUR..Good idea about marking the studs when painting. I'll have to remember that next summer.
                        patience is a virtue I can\'t wait to have

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                          • Mar 2005
                          • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

Anything would probably do. My garage was insulated and has that phoney pecan looking panelling on it when I bought this place.
                          Were I doing it I would use something a little more substatial.
                          In a perfect world, I really like the looks of pine beadboard finished natural. That may be just a pipe dream?
                          However plywood or OSB board will make a fine wall that you can hang anything on. The only drawback to OSB is the irregular surface, is kind of a bear to paint and seems to drink it up.
                          But a deep knap roller can get it pretty good.
                          Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

Comment

• Tom.Trout
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • lower 48, USA.

I actually got a price on pine bead board it was about $21 a sheet. The cheapest covering I have seen is really cheap paneling at about $12 per sheet, plywood is somewhere in between.

Yes the idea of 1/2 inch plywood sure seems substantial but I am leaning toward the pine bead board for looks. I am really only talking about say 17 sheets so the difference may only be about $150.

quote:Originally posted by Jim-Iowa

Anything would probably do. My garage was insulated and has that phoney pecan looking panelling on it when I bought this place.
                            Were I doing it I would use something a little more substatial.
                            In a perfect world, I really like the looks of pine beadboard finished natural. That may be just a pipe dream?
                            However plywood or OSB board will make a fine wall that you can hang anything on. The only drawback to OSB is the irregular surface, is kind of a bear to paint and seems to drink it up.
                            But a deep knap roller can get it pretty good.

Comment

• doogus
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Bothell, WA, USA.

I know that some say you should not use drywall in the shop. That said and me being the cheap guy I am the absolute best thing I found to put on the wall of my garage was broken sheets of drywall I got at HD for free.

At my local HD they put the broken sheets on a cart and let you have them for free if you ask (the local Lowes will sell damage drywall to you for 52 cents per piece). Some are broken in 1/2 and others only have a damaged corner.

You don't get the "even look" of full sheets when you hang it and some are green board and others whiteboard. But it is free and it is a shop so I can live with it. It may take a few weeks to get enough material but I did my whole 20 x 24 garage this way. Only cost for me was the drywall screws (and the insulation).
                              Your Faithful Woodworking Geek,

Doogus

Comment

Working...