Drill Press Stand On a Budget (FINISHED)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonBoy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2005
    • Hampstead, NC, USA.

Drill Press Stand On a Budget (FINISHED)

Ok I got a Tradsman Drill press and I am building a stand on a budget. Bought $20 in wood. Mostly off Damaged section. Anyway 2 foot deap, 2 foot tall, and 3 foot wide is it's size. I bought a 4x6 sheet of partical board $4.01 to use as the top and shelf 5/8 in. I am considering doubling it up and using 2 layers on the top. Would this be a good idea? The frame is built out of 2x4's and a couple 2x2's It seams super sturdy and I still need to add a couple braces but I am 100% happy so far. I got a sheet of 1/4" decorative type plywood for the sides also $4.01 just had a ding in the front.
  • Bulkley
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • British Columbia, Canada.

"I am considering doubling it up and using 2 layers on the top. Would this be a good idea?"

That depends upon weight. Because you are asking, I suspect the answer is yes.

Comment

• JonBoy
      Established Member
      • Sep 2005
      • Hampstead, NC, USA.

Also I am conserned how well they will glue together. I do want something that looks good not just work good. This is one of my first projects.

Comment

• monte
        Forum Windbag
        • Dec 2002
        • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
        • GI 50-185M

I would definately double the top thickness.
        Monte (another darksider)
        Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

I have face glued MDF for several projects. PB should work about the same. Coat both surfaces with glue and use plenty of clamoing pressure. Use cauls to make sure the center of the panel gets pressure.

Another trick is to pull them together with coarse drywall screws from the underside. Plan ahead if you do this so the screws won't be where you have to drill the mounting holes later. Get the screws tight but be careful not to strip them out.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Tamarack
            Established Member
            • Oct 2003
            • Speedwell, TN USA
            • BT3100

Pappy-
            Can't you just remove the screws after the glue dries and accomplish the same goal?

Paul in Idaho

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

I have the ryobi 10" DP, it's a heavy one also. I build a little mobile cabinet for under it, nothing fancy. I used 2x4 construction, made the side frames by double biscuiting, then screwed the top and bottom supports into place, sheathed everything with some left over cabinet 3/4 ply I had. I did put an extra 2x4 across the center where the DP sits, no noticable deflection, it's held up well.

dunno if that helps at all, but sneaking a 2x right under where the dp sits should provide ample support.

Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• JonBoy
                Established Member
                • Sep 2005
                • Hampstead, NC, USA.

Not alot to look at but this is the basic frame. Remember I am new at this stuff. Also looking for sugestions on what to do with the Partical board. Paint or no paint? Spray can fine? Black? Base is going to be white as I have a can of it already Gloss White Exterior Paint. Also remember im covering it with 1/4" decorative type plywood.

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

Well I see a frame that would hold up a truck with or without a doubled top. The benefit of doubling the top would be giving you some meat to bolt the press to.
                  The particle board I`ve been seing at the Borgs is far better stuff than we bought 20-30 yrs ago. Much finer particles and more uniform.
                  I think sanding priming and painting should work fine. If you have enough white paint that would be my choice. I would not pick a dark color because you are bound to lay drill bits and small items on the top and with a dark background they will be harder to see.
                  At least they would to my 50 something eyes and bifocals.
                  Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

Comment

• WEG
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Nahant, MA.

Hi JonBoy;

That frame is way overkill for a table drill press, but better safe than sorry. If you cover that over with plywood, even the thin stuff you are using, it will be plenty solid and stiff. Double the thickness of the top material, glued up and yes, you can use sheet rock screws and remove them later for the glue up on the top, and you can use the cabinet/stand as a base to put the jack under the main beam to level your house That is if you use the heavy duty wheels under it of course (Just Kidding... don't really try that!!!)
                    Nice work by the way...your shop is going to be nice
                    WEG

Comment

• JonBoy
                      Established Member
                      • Sep 2005
                      • Hampstead, NC, USA.

Overkill Weg?

Hey 2x4's are cheap and I just started putting it together as I went no real plan. I bought a 10" GMC drill press at first and it wasnt to heavy 50-60 lbs that would have worked fine on my bench. It didnt turn out to well and I sugest against GMC tools now. Anyway the 12" tradesman drill press it heavy 100lbs or more it seems. Also about not painting the top black thanks. I never thought about drills setting up there. Also I did glue the top together. Its in the background.

Comment

• WEG
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Nahant, MA.

Hi JonBoy;
                        Not in a bad way JonBoy. I certainly didn't mean overkill pricewise. It will be a great cabinet that you can use for just about any tool you will eventually buy. From the looks of the framing, it really will be a very sturdy cabinet. More than adequate for your bench top Tradesman drill press. And welcome to the forum.
                        WEG

Comment

• Deadhead
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
                          • BT3100

JonBoy,
                          Thanks for posting the pic. I've been working over ideas in my head for something to put my DP on and have room for storage underneath. You pic gives me another idea to consider.

"Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

Comment

• JonBoy
                            Established Member
                            • Sep 2005
                            • Hampstead, NC, USA.

Well, if you have a camera take a picture of what you do. I just bought some stuff after seeing some usable stuff on the HD damaged section of wood. Looked at it as a jig saw puzzle and started putting 2x4 together until I had something sturdy looking. Should get a little more done today. Also just upgraded from a bst15 to a bt3. And I never belive that it would be that much better but it is.

Comment

• JonBoy
                              Established Member
                              • Sep 2005
                              • Hampstead, NC, USA.

Well, got to work on it today some. Still need to round over the top, mount the top, add back, and make 2 doors. All and all including wood, hardware, screws, and, nails should be under $30 painting white because its FREE. I think it will turn out just fine.

Comment

Working...