• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • r.palmer
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2005
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Pics of dual 4" SD rig, shop build

Well, still under construction, but I have rough shop pictures. A shot of the house, I built by hand, using a block and tackle and a tripod to set the poles, 25 years ago, rough barn style, with cypress siding, 14 1/2 ft about mean high tide. Sawgrass around a small island. Living space up stairs. Work space, expendable on all levels, is down.

NO NAME,storm in the early 90's, put nine ft of water in my area, so it got the tools, saw motors, and things collected over a long time. Water was deep enough I watched a horse swim by, and a house trailer go down in a nearby bay like a diving submarine. It all rolled out of a large utility enclosure, into a screen area. Wind was DC. That became history. It wore me out on working with tools for a while.

I had to have tools again. I had to build another shop, so I had to build half a house downstairs to do it. Its taken me two years.

Shot of house and 9x12 shed.

Detail of house and back deck with view of swamp out the back shop door. It has access in a tiny canal, to a four miie run to the Gulf of Mexico, or the backwaters. So shallow and rocky it has a real bad rep for killing motors.

Picture of the dual four SD rig, to the HF DC. When two gates are open, speeds up about 25%. Judged by the wild spin of the chips in the bag. I get to position the saw with the Shark on one of those rolling walking beam bases anywhere its most out of the way for a canoe or small boat build. I have built a few boats, and the sanding was deadly, so I will use the drops for sanding, and a 4 inch dust sucking sweep can be in the area I am sanding. The pipe is not glued, a few key pieces got some poly seamseal. I had to take it down once, and make a better plan. The gates have to have be fitted well with hacksaw cuts in the SD pipe edge, heated, then necked down to the pipe while soft with a clamp, and sealed with poly seamseal. The overhead gates need a screw in the top of the pipe, into the edge of the gate flange to keep them on if you yank the hose. The plastic gates are not that nice, but I am short on time.

The nice thing, is if I pop open a gate down the line on the overhead run, it sure cleans the pipes, A BT3 with a bottom pan, connected to the one run and the back and the Shark on the other, gets good flow. For critical tools, use two hoses.

Many times I thought, one six, then I thought sanding.

I do not recommed this mess for everyone, but its set up to suck Epoxy sanding dust. It ran like a champ.

I ran it for half an hour, on max, motor stayed reasonably cool, it runs out of the washer line, a 20 amp circuit, and it needs it. I need a new switch, some kind of remote, no chip collector is going to work on this bad boy, I tried it with a U path plenum box, duct taped together, and it just sucked it dry.

I am thinking about sanding hoods, made of light materials that hang,
    or two hoses to a down draft table that sets on saw horses, made of light luan. Suck it clean from two ends.

I wonder how much I am losing due to the extra friction. It does seem like when I crack two blast gates, on the end of the run, after sanding, I will clean the system. Have to remember to put some magnets or magnetic tape in the sweeps, it got a small washer and whanged it into the bag.

The BT3 is on a that walking beam base, set as low as I could make it, and I made some copper coupling and 3/8 silver soldered screw jacks for the saw and other rolling tools, can level the saw out, and have a socket on a stick, to tighten them without bending over.

Floor is very wavy.

ideas or suggestions, or questions, feel free to mail me, I got the ideas from you guys so far, and its saved me a lot of trouble.

Wynn Environmental said the one down side to the paper filter might be in six months or more when its harder to clean due to the narrower pleats, then the poly filter would be easier to clean, and its air flow might be a bit better long term.

I do not know if this will work, attempting to put some pics in now.

out
  • Derrick
    Established Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Kansas City
    • BT3100

That looks like a real nice place for boat building. We do have basically the same floor plan. Lower the ceiling take out everything except the DC, BT, MS and a handheld router and it would be close. I have along way to go to achieve this level of nirvana but I,m working on it. Anyway to get some views of the surrounding area? It looks real peaceful.

Comment

• r.palmer
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2005
      • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Some old Pencil Cedar, so called because this coast made all the cedar for pencils, Aromatic, growing out of the remains of thousands of years of indian habitation. Some bloodlines still exist in Cuba of the Gulf Coast Timucans, in folks in Cuba when the Spanish left Florida with native born brides. Boat was a project, Phil Bolger design for a one man boat. Very fast little box. It poles in tiny creeks and turns easily, so it has its uses.

A lot of downer Cedar when Ivan went by. I like to leave it for the animals, but I have some on my lot to get some boards. would like to re saw some of it.

If the darn project floats its a grin. Skies are a little wild this year. The whine of a saw can be heard for miles. Shameful.

Comment

• Derrick
        Established Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Kansas City
        • BT3100

Thank you for the extra pics. That is a beautiful place to work on what you love to do. The serenity must be inspiring.

Comment

• lrogers
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Mobile, AL. USA.
          • BT3000

Wow, that is some view. How are you able to spend any time IN the shop?
          Larry R. Rogers
          The Samurai Wood Butcher
          http://splash54.multiply.com
          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• pierhogunn
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

nice place, really like the rope and pulleys for the windows...

Dan
            It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• r.palmer
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2005
              • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Well, I made drop shutters after a serious back injury, it was going to be a long cane cycle, and the worst time to put up plywood is when a hurricane is drifting like a crazy gun fighter in the Gulf, when its windy and it feels like you are trying to fly a kite off of a 20 ft ladder with your old arms as string.

The down side is the light that gets blocked, the view of the sky. It is a bit too raw for suburban life. Covenants now, control house color, and keep a level kind of banality, so the next Borg clone can get a house just like the last one, and the sound of closing three car garage doors in massive Florida subdivisions is like a tin can symphony from ****. I knew one Afican American man who got mad and painted the inside of his house totally black, including some of the furniture, after a maddeningly insane argument about some subdivision rule then invited the offending board to his house, and served a rather ironic meal to them, of very colorful food. I think one of the board members actually had a minor break down.

I like wood, rust, decay, a worn time marked surface. Short of walking in the Badlands of S. Dakota, or a Japanese garden or my swamp, the door on a rusty pichup or a bit of salt soaked old plywood, feels like eternity.

I never been a place I could not seek out some rust or mess to get peace from, except in some subdivisions. Nature is pretty much in our heads.

Comment

Working...