• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Storage under mobile drill press

I have one of the tall HF drill presses mounted on a 20x24 piece of 1" plywood, which in turn is sitting on an HFC mobile base. In my tiny shop, I can't afford to waste the ~6 cubic feet of space between DP table and mobile base. Anyone have ideas for using it or, better yet, pix of what they've done?

I was thinking of something U-shaped, about 3' high, that would stand on the base but could be lifted out of the way should the table need to be lowered for something. A clamp rack (for up to 3' clamps), storage for forstner and other bits to be used on the DP, storage for jigs (like V-shaped pipe holders), etc. seemed like possibilities.
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • doogus
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2003
    • Bothell, WA, USA.

I have seen plans for one that was a cabinet built on casters that allowed it to be rolled in and out from the drill press - it was a U-Shape to fit around the column and over the base of drill press. I seem to remember it had drawers and such. I looked thru my Shop Notes, Wood and Work Bench magazines but couldn't locate it. Maybe someone else remembers the plans.

I will keep looking for it since I just bought a drill press and want to do the same sort of thing. I will let you know if I find it if someone else doesn't have the answer.
    Your Faithful Woodworking Geek,

Doogus

Comment

• dlminehart
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • San Jose, CA, USA.

I seem to remember one that assumed your drill press was stationary, so the cabinet could roll up to the DP. I assume that could be adapted to just sit on the mobile base.
      - David

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Doogus is likely thinking of this cart, or one very much like it.
        Larry

Comment

• doogus
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2003
          • Bothell, WA, USA.

Here is a picture of a storage unit you can build under a drill press from Woodcraft with plans that are free from their website at http://woodcraftmagazine.com/article...fcode=06IN09NL

Your Faithful Woodworking Geek,

Doogus

Comment

• dlminehart
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • San Jose, CA, USA.

Doogus, that one looks pretty cool, complete with the ball supports on the adjustable top for outfeed table use. Thanks!
            - David

Comment

Working...