• Show
Clear All
  • Mark Vayman
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2005
    • Redmond, Washington, USA.

Gooseneck arm for drill press dust collection

Hi,
    Having finally installed my dust collection system, I'm in the process of fitting pickups for all of my tools. I have a 4" flexible hose going up to my drill press. I'm trying to figure out a way I could adjust the hose and move it around for various drilling tasks. I was thinking

of using the same material used for the adjustable gooseneck arms in desktop lights and strapping the hose to it. For my prototype, I used a gas connector; however it was too flexible and couldn't really hold. Does anyone have ideas on where I could get an adjustable arm?
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Mark,

You might want to look at this topic in which Loring shows the adjustable arm he made for dust collection on his drill press. HTH

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Mark Vayman
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2005

Thanks for the link. I'll have to figure out how this would work with 4" ducting, and report back.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

From my Crazy-Ideas-To-Try-Someday file: I've been thinking of getting an old draftman's/artist's lamp, like this and removing the lamp head and using the arm as a hose holder/aimer for tools like the drill press and bandsaw. My vague plan is to bracket the lamp arm off a wall close to the tool and then extend it as needed to position the hose inlet.

One complication is that the weight of a 4" hose would surely overpower the springs on the arm, meaning it wouldn't stay where you put it; however, I think it would manage a 2-1/2" shop vac hose okay, with a transition to a 4" hose somewhere down the line.

If this idea has any appeal, trying calling architects and engineers in your area and asking if they have any of these old lamps laying around. Every drafting table used to have one but now that everyone has transitioned to CAD, they're dinosaurs. You might even find someone who'd give you one for nothing.
        Larry

Comment

• dlminehart
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • San Jose, CA, USA.

Larry, I've also seen these lamps at GoodWill stores for about $5 or less. I was also wondering about their use for this purpose. I've seen some that were intended to hold pretty heavy objects (e.g., large magnifier encircled by a ring light). Like this: http://www.magnifierlamp.com/economy_magnifier.html
          - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• bigstick509
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Macomb, MI, USA.
            • BT3100

Take a look at this option

http://modularhose.com/merchant2/mer...ategory_Code=8

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• gad5264
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Columbus, Ohio, USA
              • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Thanks for th elink bigstick.
              Grant
              "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• Mark Vayman
                Forum Newbie
                • Aug 2005

Thanks for the link. I wish they had them in 4” diameter, but I guess I could use the smaller diameter and strap them to my dust hose.
                -mark

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

quote:Originally posted by LarryG

From my Crazy-Ideas-To-Try-Someday file: I've been thinking of getting an old draftman's/artist's lamp, like this and removing the lamp head and using the arm as a hose holder/aimer for tools like the drill press and bandsaw. My vague plan is to bracket the lamp arm off a wall close to the tool and then extend it as needed to position the hose inlet.

One complication is that the weight of a 4" hose would surely overpower the springs on the arm, meaning it wouldn't stay where you put it; however, I think it would manage a 2-1/2" shop vac hose okay, with a transition to a 4" hose somewhere down the line.

If this idea has any appeal, trying calling architects and engineers in your area and asking if they have any of these old lamps laying around. Every drafting table used to have one but now that everyone has transitioned to CAD, they're dinosaurs. You might even find someone who'd give you one for nothing.
                  Funny you mention that Larry, I have one of those lamps that was given to me. My friend another Larry had a couple lights he gave me.
                  That one he said had a bad switch, I had intended to replace the switch. But now may try it for something else?
                  Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

Comment

• hermit
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Somerset, PA, USA.

I just used a 4" aluminum dryer vent hose. I attached a sewer drain adapter on the end mostly for cosmetic purposes. You can adjust it in any position, like the gooseneck lamps.

MIA,
                    Todd

Comment

• Mark Vayman
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Aug 2005

Awesome!
                      Just got back from the BORG, going to try it out.

Comment

• Imadunatic
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Barryton, Mi, USA.

I am definitely packing away the dryer hose idea, seems like it would
                        work wonderfully, thanks for the pic

kevin
                        \"Run Varnish, Runnnnnn\"

Comment

• Brian G
                          • Jun 2003
                          • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                          • G0899

Hey, Todd, good to see you post.

That's a neat idea. . . .you should submit it to a WW mag as a tip.
                          Brian

Comment

• tribalwind
                            • Feb 2004
                            • long island, ny.

funny! id seen that hose in HD a while ago and wondered if it'd be rigid enough for just this sorta aplication.
                            im dying to try it out at the Lathe...th dust-hood thing i use now is a pain to re-adjust all the time, especially with long pieces...
                            namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

Working...