• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mleichtle
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Cedarburg, Wi, USA.

Pellet Stove?

I know its a little early, (and hot) to start with shop heat questions. I talked to a salesman at the county fair this weekend, and looked over the display. I've never really looked at one up close before. He said 1, $4 bag of pellets lasts from 10 - 50 hours. Thats cheap, and the display seemed to put out alot of heat. They also burn corn, which I could probably get free. The major cost would be the upfront price of the unit, I think they start at around $1000. Any one have expierence with one, care to share your thoughts?
    M. Leichtle
    Beer is proof that God exsists and wants us to be happy.
    Ben Franklin
  • Armini
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

quote:Originally posted by mleichtle

I know its a little early, (and hot) to start with shop heat questions. I talked to a salesman at the county fair this weekend, and looked over the display. I've never really looked at one up close before. He said 1, $4 bag of pellets lasts from 10 - 50 hours. Thats cheap, and the display seemed to put out alot of heat. They also burn corn, which I could probably get free. The major cost would be the upfront price of the unit, I think they start at around $1000. Any one have expierence with one, care to share your thoughts?
    I have one, though not in a shop - at a cabin where it was the primary source for a while. The cabin is in the Gatineau area of west Quebec, so the climate has to be around the same range as WI.

Overall, fairly impressed. It can throw a lot of heat, seems very safe, and was easy to install. Needing minimal exit ventilation (though it definitely needs it) made it very simple to DIY. As the building has grown, the need for a air-moving system overwhelms it, but it still is used to raise the main living areas to a comfortable level.

I am building a shop in the city now, and am looking at a mix of radiant flooring and a pellet stove, the first to keep a reasonable base and the stove to warm it up when I am using it.

Comment

• Hellrazor
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Abyss, PA
      • Ridgid R4512

I have a pellet stove here in the finished basement. It will burn about half to a full bag a day the way i have mine setup, all depends on the outside temp. I use it to heat the basement and upstairs living room, dining room and kitchen by letting the cellar door open. I am planning on adding vents to heat the bedrooms before winter. Its darn nice heat and its not messy like a regular wood stove. I think its a 4" double wall insulated pipe for the exhaust vent.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Mike,

Are you just going to add vents in the floor to let the air rise? I have a woodstove in my basement and have been wondering the best way to get the warm air upstairs during the winter.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

Yes, i want to cut one in each bedroom and one at the end of the hallway. Bathrooms will NOT be fun, they are both ceramic tile floors, i need to figure out how to get a wall duct in place. I also leave the cellar door open, that drafts is into the kitchen, living room and dining room nicely. My basement stairs are in the middle of the house and the stove blower is aimed right at them.

Is your basement finished or have ceiling tiles? I found a vent product at the local hardware store that is made for venting a 1st floor to a 2nd floor. Its a rectangular vent with a top and bottom piece that slid into each other for a custom depth fit. Need to write the name of them down, they want $65 each, and try to find them online. The box store do no carry them.

Beware of one thing with vents, you have drafting issues just like a chimney. One vent might push hot air up and the other draws cool air down. Someone told me its fun trying to get the venting right. UNLESS, you can run 6" round ducting, then you can buy a thermostat controlled fan for the ductwork. I know someone who did that and loves it.

Comment

• germdoc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Omaha, NE
            • BT3000--the gray ghost

Don't let me talk you out of it, but our old friends almost had a house fire because of their pellet stove. This was circa 1986, so maybe technology's better now. I just know that whenever we mention the phrase "pellet stove" around them, they shake their heads and mutter some words that might generate an FCC fine.

I personally prefer a gas stove with the remote and thermostat. Best investment we made for heating our basement.

Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

I don't know anyone who had a problem with a pellet stove. But i sure do know of a lot who had problems with wood stoves. But that always is a maintenance/user error issue... "You have to clean the chimney?" "Why can't i let the drafts fully open for hours?" "Is the stove pipe supposed to be cherry red?" "Whats wrong with burning creosote soaked wood in the stove" <- Yes, its a true story... neighbor used to burn old railroad ties and telephone polls until he almost burned his house down. But he was also a poster adult for stupidity.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

Oh and forget to mention, the last guy is also the one who used to pour old motor oil into his kerosene stove. You thought someone was burning tires every time he did that. The whole neighborhood turned dark..

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Mike, sent you an email
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Abyss, PA
                    • Ridgid R4512

Yup saw it, back at ya.

Comment

Working...