This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jgoldshlag

Basement shop, DC under porch?

I am starting to set up my basement shop. I have a pretty limited amount of space, around 15' x 8'. I am going to start shopping for DC systems pretty soon, and space is a major concern. Just outside the basement wall, my house has an enclosed porch with around 6' or so of headroom under it. I was thinking about putting whatever DC system I end up with outside under the porch so it wouldn't take up any space in the basement. Is doing so likely to cause any sort of problems? The DC would be under cover, but the sides of the porch are currently just lattice. Do most DC systems run OK in a Boston, MA winter?
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

The subject of putting a DC in a different space than the shop has come up before. You need to consider that you're taking air out of your shop at ~1000 cfm, and that air needs to (and will, whether you design for it or not) come back into your shop from somewhere.

In the winter, you might be sending your heated air out, and making up the loss with winter air through window and door cracks. In the summer, it's air conditioned air made up with hot, humid outside air.

Some people build enclosures that vent back to the shop (through much larger ducts than the original 4" or 6").

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• Sid
      Established Member
      • Apr 2004
      • Bloomington, IL, USA.
      • Craftsman 22124

Much worse, if the house is fairly tight, the air being sucked in could reverse the flow in a furnace and/or water heater flue, filling the house with carbon monoxide. Not a good idea!

Sid

Comment

• jgoldshlag

The hose was built in 1927, and is certainly not at all tight. The basement is not heated, though the house is heated by steam and just having all the steam pipes run through the basement heats it pretty well in the winter.

Thanks for the feedback...

Comment

Working...