Anyone reasonably expert with Sketchup Make?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Anyone reasonably expert with Sketchup Make?

I am working on the 3D printing, to keep making accessories and jigs for the shop and other purposes, right now I am upgrading the printer as the hot end isn't up to the filaments I want to use... I need to upgrade my fan shroud / hot end cover, but the one I want to go with and print doesn't have enough space for the wires for my new hot end.

Open the STL in Sketchup, and realize this thing has a fairly complex poly setup.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5231763/remixes
    It is the 4010 BL Touch version. Sorry they set it up in a zip file so I can't link the individual file here...

I need to create an 8mm wide by 8mm deep U channel on the, if the unit is facing you, left side inside. But the complex poly setup I am completely clueless as to how to basically carve this out.

So the question is. How do I create the negative space through comply polys like this?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • d_meister
    Established Member
    • Feb 2009
    • La Conner, WA.
    • BT3000

I'm a little unclear on where exactly you want the channel, but I downloaded the files and opened the shroud v84 file in Tinkercad. Just to test theory, I created a void cylinder and located it halfway into the shroud where the cover goes. Tinkercad handled it easily. If you don't use Tinkercad, it's free to use online, it's made by Autocad and will load your designs into Autocads Fusion 360 for refinement if desired. Tinkercad is unlike any CAD program I've used, as designs are made by using shapes from a library. It's like playing with blocks. Both programs are free for non-commercial use.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Hmmm. Will look into it. I did get the Sketchup issue figured out but it was a time intensive process. I have the shroud modified and it is printing now. I am If you are looking at it from the front, on the center hollow section I needed a 7mm x 4mm deep slot to allow the wiring for an upgraded hot end.

Definately going to have to look into Tinkercad. Sketchup Free stinks, and I am pretty sure eventually Sketchup Make 2017 will just stop working...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• d_meister
        Established Member
        • Feb 2009
        • La Conner, WA.
        • BT3000

You could probably hit the ground running in AutoCad's Fusion 360, with your experience. It's free for amateur use, but finding the free link isn't that easy, IIRC. They try really hard to get you into the paying customer status, but persevere. As noted, TinkerCad is an AutoDesk (AutoCad) product, but it's really fast to knock out 3D models, and you can import directly into Fusion 360 to get the finer details and precision if needed. And, it's fun! It really is like playing with blocks.

Comment

Working...