• Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Paint Recc

Hello everyone! I haven't been on much lately (retirement is busier than I ever expected) but I'll try to do better in the future. Right now I need to ask the Hive Mind for recommendations for a hard, glossy, oil-based enamel in white for a small project. Right now the shelves of the case are painted with latex, but glasses and wine bottles stick to it.

I appreciate the help!

Smit
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I would go to a local paint store (only sells paint) and ask them. I can't get consistent info at the big box stores. However, I have run into some great info at both Sherwin-Williams and Farrell-Calhoun. I promise you I hear from painters that the Sherwin Williams sold in one of the big box stores is not the same quality as sold at the Sherwin-Williams paint store, although the big box store people argue differently. In talking with painters at two of the churches we helped build, I get scattered opinions but the most consistent opinion in paint preference has been Farrell-Calhoun, which surprised me as I began to learn of quality.

One other item not directly related to your question has been: The quality of paint is only as good as the quality of the paint brush, high priced paint brushes of great quality. The painters we used (professionals who volunteered) are/were strict with their paint brushes and took excellent care of them.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Thanks Hank! I have noticed the difference in paint quality between the BORG and my local Sherwin-Williams. In our area, the best quality paint was make by Brod-Dugan, but they were bought by Sherwin-Williams several years ago,.

Brushes are an investment. I have several Purdys for general painting, and a set of Rosco fitches I used for scene painting.

Off to the local paint store!

Smit
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I needed some paint for my riding mower. I went to the nearby Benjamin Moore paint store with a sample. They custom mixed a quart of Advance to match the Ryobi hyper green color. It has proven to be a pretty tough coating. It's a water based akyld paint. It flows out nicely and almost looks sprayed when rolled on. It is slow curing and smells quite a bit. Our SIL painted their kitchen island with Advance with a small roller and it also looks like a spray job. Just a suggestion.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...