• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Pandemic Wood...

Earlier on in the Covid crap, my long time hardwood dealer was struck down with the virus. Not just him, but his entire family. Everyone survived, but the shop was closed for several weeks. During that time, I needed some hard maple for the next table in the living room furniture replacement series. I went to a lumber dealer in a nearby town that mills trees into kiln dried boards. I used that lumber to make the next table and have it to the finishing stage. The wood is definitely not the quality I normally get at my usual source and coloring this wood has been the biggest challenge I have ever faced. Aniline dye didn't penetrate large areas of wood and there are glue stains in many joins. I have spent the last few weeks using medium walnut Danish oil to color in the "white" areas to get to an even color for varnishing. I will still have to use tinted varnish to get the proper color. I suspect the wood was not properly dried and that is what is causing my issues. Going to be interesting as my neighbor just bought an entire bunker (several hundred board feet) of maple from this lumber dealer and it was dried after the wood I purchased.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
Working...