• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daughterofgirl
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2021

Epoxy table

Hi everyone!
    I want to do the epoxy table, but my main problem is that I don't know which epoxy I need to use. I read a lot of sites and articles. There is some information about epoxy on the wiki and I think it is true. See this article - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoxy#...ntial_flooring. There are two links in this paragraph. Is it good epoxy? Or recommend the epoxy that you used, please.

That is my first work with epoxy (in that scale) and I want to do something like that. Filling thickness approximate 1.6-2.4 in
    Click image for larger version  Name:	367481-zhurnalnyi-stol-s-epoksidnoi-smoloi-1280x768.jpg Views:	19 Size:	216.8 KB ID:	843463
    Last edited by daughterofgirl; 03-25-2021, 02:09 AM.
  • d_meister
    Established Member
    • Feb 2009
    • La Conner, WA.
    • BT3000

I would suggest starting with exploring the West System site. I've used their products for dozens of years in the boat industry, and I don't think there's another company that has done more to put epoxy technology into the hands of consumers. They have direct contact avenues for assistance, as well as FAQ's that will likely answer any questions.
    I've learned over the years that the wrong hardener selection will cause discoloration over time, and bubbles not releasing during cure. They have a newsletter that has fascinating stories and projects by users. Good stuff.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

IF I were to do something like that table, I too would use the West Systems if at all possible. Read all you can; bubbles can cause problems for the inexperienced. Curing time, mixing tints. Find a contact person at West Systems or other company and use them as a resource person. Most of the time, they are very helpful.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

There's a place local to me that specializes in epoxy tables and this is the product they use. Their website has some pretty good information under the Support tab.

For thick epoxy pours, FlowCast is our most popular product for creating epoxy furniture, artwork, and more. Self-leveling and crystal clear finish.

I know there are also a ton of YouTube videos if you search for "epoxy river tables"

Comment

• daughterofgirl
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2021

Originally posted by d_meister
          I would suggest starting with exploring the West System site. I've used their products for dozens of years in the boat industry, and I don't think there's another company that has done more to put epoxy technology into the hands of consumers. They have direct contact avenues for assistance, as well as FAQ's that will likely answer any questions.
          I've learned over the years that the wrong hardener selection will cause discoloration over time, and bubbles not releasing during cure. They have a newsletter that has fascinating stories and projects by users. Good stuff.
          https://www.westsystem.com/the-105-s...lection-guide/
          That is helpful. Especially direct contact avenues for assistance. Thanks

Comment

• daughterofgirl
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2021

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            There's a place local to me that specializes in epoxy tables and this is the product they use. Their website has some pretty good information under the Support tab.

For thick epoxy pours, FlowCast is our most popular product for creating epoxy furniture, artwork, and more. Self-leveling and crystal clear finish.

I know there are also a ton of YouTube videos if you search for "epoxy river tables"
            Oh, that's exactly what I need. Thanks. I'll write to them, find out some details about using it with an embossing machine.
            Thanks again!
            Last edited by daughterofgirl; 03-28-2021, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

There are alot of youtubers who do epoxy tables. I watch this channel alot and he has alot of good information.

I’m Cam, the owner of Blacktail Studio. I started woodworking in 2016 as a hobby. Eventually I realized my hobby was expensive, so I tried selling some items to sustain it. Then I thought I might be able to help find customers if I made a video or two on the process. So in 2018 I launched my YouTube channel. This led to that, and in 2020 I quit my job to do this woodworking youtuber thing full time. Best decision I ever made though, I hope you enjoy following along!
              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• nicer20
                Established Member
                • Sep 2007
                • Dublin, CA
                • BT3100

I have done epoxy countertops - not epoxy river tables. One thing I can add is you need epoxy that is formulated for "deep pour". The countertop epoxy for example is not designed for such thick pouring. So please make sure you buy appropriate epoxy.

Good luck and looking forward to your photos from the project.

- NG

Comment

Working...