• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Kid challenge project--tool bin organizer

This morning I was sitting on the couch watching woodworking on YouTube. My older daughter, 6, says to me, "Daddy, you always watch them make all this nice stuff, but then you don't make it." Her sister, 5, chimed in, "Yeah, why?" I didn't have a snappy reply so I just tickled them until they couldn't take it anymore.

Fast forward to this afternoon and the kids were at a birthday party with mom. I have a bunch of these Stanley clone parts totes from HF that I have been wanting to make a storage unit for. I was clearing out old magazines and saw plans for ones that I liked.

I didn't end up using the plans but made something similar. The sides are Baltic birch ply I salvaged from a crate from work years ago. This was the last remnant I had left--really nice stuff. The top and bottom are walnut boards I had leftover from other projects. The ash runners, too, are extras from other projects. They are glued into dadoes in the ply. The sides and tops are Dominoed together. Tomorrow I'll cut another piece of reclaimed crate (from another work delivery) and apply some finish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170401_185028.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	829936
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Love the "I just tickled them..." response.

Comment

Working...