• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newood2
    • Aug 2004
    • Brooklyn, NY.
    • BT3100-1

Help with box for 3D crystal display

Hello everybody. It's been a long time since I was last here, well I didn't croak yet.

Anyway, I was called upon by my church to build a display box for a 3D crystal display that would be mounted in the wall in the fellowship hall. This is in honor of our senior elder and his wife.

The crystal dimensions are 10”H x 18”W x 4-3/4”D. I am thinking of building a box with interior dimensions of 14”H x 22”W x 6-1/4”D. The box will be flush with the front wall with a 2” picture-frame-like molding that will also secure the glass. The glass and the molding will be installed before the box is mounted in the wall. It will be slide in from the front. Access to the box will be from the back wall – a passage way. The box will be lined with black velvet. Is the box size OK?

Most likely, I will have to make one for that size crystal. Should I use LED or other options? How bright should the light be?
    I need some ideas. HELP

Howie
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I think if I had to do it, I'd start with a cardboard mock-up. Spray paint some cardboard black, make the box to the size you suggested and put the crystal display inside. Does the size look good to you? If yes, then move on to the lights.

For the lights, I would definitely go with LED for their longevity and to minimize heat in the case. I'd also mock up the location of the lights in that cardboard box. I've seen some of those crystal displays at the mall. How do they illuminate them? Lights directly overhead, slightly towards the front, from below, from behind? I personally wouldn't want to see the light source at all so I'd try it from the front pointing towards the back maybe hiding the light strip behind the front case molding. I also don't know if light placement will affect the 3D appearance from different angles.

Finally, the glass. Consider the anti-glare glass. They also sell it in plastic sheets at Home Depot but I'd opt for glass.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I'm not familiar with "crystal" display... like what are they, like crystal glassware, a bowl(s), or are they more like large jewels. Sorry, just not familiar.

However, having lived in the Corning, NY area, I have visited the Corning Glass Museum on many occasions and have seen many glass and crystal ware displays, especially in the Steuben Works, as well as a few blown and sculptured art glass retailers in the area.

I do agree with using LED lighting, both for it's brilliance and for it's longevity. For opaque glass, overhead and other reflective lighting is very pleasing to highlight the color, shape, etc. However for clear and even etched glass and crystal, one of the most pleasing lighting displays that I've appreciated is when locate the light directly under the art piece, with a perfectly sized hole cut into the black lining (velvet or whatever) to fit the base of the object. That way, the light is only seen as it illunates the glass, and there is no exterior reflections or highlights.... the glass just sort of glows brightly.

Size of course will be determined by the displayed piece(s).

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'm thinking the 3D crystal display is like this:

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Hey, every day it seems I learn something new (even if it is several years after everybody else, that's why I guess I say I'm interested in history )

Pretty neat, but I'm not sure that my suggestion of just bottom lighting would do it justice.

Thanks Paul.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

My "other hobby" is lighting, specifically Christmas lighting but it also spills out into other areas. I'd go with LED lighting, specifically flexible strip ribbon. You might be able to mount it on the lip of the front frame, facing in, and it will be almost impossible to see the light source. I'd go with "warm white" vs "cool white" leds as these seem more natural to most people than the stark cool white.

Comment

• newood2
              • Aug 2004
              • Brooklyn, NY.
              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              I'm thinking the 3D crystal display is like this:

https://youtu.be/5ko5RE2oh00
              I should have posted a picture, so thanks for the youtube video clip, that's the idea. Except the size of mine is 10"H x 18"W x 4-3/4"D and weighs 60lbs. It's the largest order the laser engraver company ever received, and it cost pretty penny. I'm thinking of using dimmable LED in order to adjust the brightness. I will check out the anti-glare glass. The lighting is the thing I'm mostly concerned about, the placement and brightness could be a hit or missed. In all the displays I've seen so far, they show the light coming up from the bottom.
              A mock-up is a good idea with wood base and cardboard. I will check for hardware and materials at HD and Marshall.
              This is kind of a small big project here, with a little head scratching.

Comment

Working...