• Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Wood drawer slides - finish?

I'm coming along pretty well with my double dressers project. The plans call for wood drawer slides and side guides which I have all milled up. So my question: do I put a finish on them to help them slide? Leave them "naked"? Just put something like a paste wax on them?

I want them to operate smoothly, obviously.

Thanks,
    -Tim
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I have just waxed them, and again about every 3 years. I'm not an expert on this but if I had it to do over again, I would probably put a coat of clear poly or varnish, let it dry a week and then wax it.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

My own thoughts are that a finish like shellac or poly would provide more friction than just the plain wood. For the couple of projects that I've made, I've just used wax. But has Hank Lee has stated, I think that needs some refreshing every few years. There is a product called "SLIPIT" that is pretty good. The label states "Woodworker's Sliding Compound" and says that it is silicone free, nonflamable, dielectric, and odor free. They have a website at www.slipit.com.

I bought my pint-sized can from Lee-Valley... http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43415,43440

No other affiliation with Lee-Valley other than being an admiring customer.

Hope this helps,

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Are these side hung drawers or will the drawers slide on a web frame? For the two 8 drawer dressers I've made (drawers on web frames), I do finish the web frame but I use self stick UHMW strips on the bottoms of my drawer sides. One dresser has been in use for 6 years and the other for almost 5. All drawers still slide smoothly with no regular maintenance and the web frame isn't getting rubbed through from the slick strips.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
          Are these side hung drawers or will the drawers slide on a web frame? For the two 8 drawer dressers I've made (drawers on web frames), I do finish the web frame but I use self stick UHMW strips on the bottoms of my drawer sides. One dresser has been in use for 6 years and the other for almost 5. All drawers still slide smoothly with no regular maintenance and the web frame isn't getting rubbed through from the slick strips.

These will be on a web frame with center slides and side guides.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by tfischer

These will be on a web frame with center slides and side guides.
            Then I definitely recommend going the slick tape approach. I can't find my order from years ago, but I think it might have been from here. They sell them in different widths, too. The tape will add a little height to your drawer so take that into account when sizing your drawers to the opening. I didn't apply finish to the bottom of my drawer sides (poplar drawers) and the tape sticks fine although it's pretty stiff from the roll. The weight of the drawer will keep it flat. No delamination of the tape yet.

http://catalog.cshyde.com/item/atego...pe/19-10hb-5-5

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

I think using something is better than not using anything. I've made several projects with wooden slides and have had mixed results by leaving the wood unfinished.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...