• Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Half-blind dovetail spacing

I know that typically you size your drawers to be a multiple of your dovetail jig template spacing. However the dresser project I'm currently building requires drawer sizes that are not a multiple of this value. Additionally, it uses full-inset (flush) fronts that are integrated into the drawer box, rather than having 'false fronts' screwed onto the box, so that I can't just build a standard-sized box and screw on a false front of the proper size.

What are my options for using my existing half-blind dovetail template in this situation?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

It's not as easy to make inset drawers without a plant on front, but it's not impossible either. For my daughter's dresser, I sized the drawer fronts to match my dresser drawer opening, then made the DTed drawer. I used a handplane to do the final sizing to fit the opening.

It's been a long time since I used a commercial DT jig (HF), but if you can't move the fingers on your jig, then I guess you're kind of stuck finding some kind of spacing that will work. This is why I stopped using the jig and do my DTs by hand. I didn't want to buy an expensive jig that wouldn't see much use.

Paul

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

You can get different spacing templates. I got the one I use from Grizzly. My HF jig came with a 1 inch spacing jig and I wanted 7/8 so I bought a new template. They had others. You can also make an oversized drawer and then cut it down. That won't give you even spacing but would be fine structurally. If you haven't made the box yet, you can also adjust it to fit drawers your jig can make.

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Those came out nice! Looks like some nice grain on those fronts. Are there photos of the complete dresser?

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by gerti
          Those came out nice! Looks like some nice grain on those fronts. Are there photos of the complete dresser?
          I sent you a PM with links to the threads with pics. Didn't want to hijack the thread.

Originally posted by JimD
          You can get different spacing templates. I got the one I use from Grizzly. My HF jig came with a 1 inch spacing jig and I wanted 7/8 so I bought a new template. They had others.
          That's interesting. Maybe this will breath new life into my HF jig. I wonder what other jigs are cross compatible.

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • BT3100

Thanks for the info everyone. I didn't know the Grizzly templates were compatible with the HF jig either. My carcass is mostly built so I'm going to have to do some tests to see what the best options are. If all else fails I'll punt and use a drawer-lock joint but would kind of like the tails.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I think all the jigs that let you adjust a bar across the drawer front are about the same - all the ones that look like the HF. I might have had to file a screw hole or something but the Grizzly template basically screwed right on. It is also nicely machined instead of rough cast.

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

Good to know.

Comment

Working...