• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

3D Printed Pen Segment Jig

With the recent discussion on using 3D printers to print replacement parts, I figured I would share a jig I made with a 3D printer. Keep in mind, I am no expert and am using a fairly bottom of the line 3D printer--a Cubify Ekocycle

I wanted to create a checkerboard pen blank, so ~3/4" square by 5", so I needed to glue a series of 3/4" squares together that were perfectly square to each other so the squares would line up. Since I was using wood, I needed it to be non-stick for wood glue. Sure, this could be cut out of something like HDPE or something, but I had the printer and wanted to learn how to use it, so that's what I did. I'm not even sure what the filament is exactly, but I believe it's made from recycled plastic. I could be wrong.

It's perfectly square and non-stick, so it works perfectly. Somehow, though, the baseplate of the printer developed bumps, so the bottom is not perfectly flat, but the interior edges that need to be flat are.

I made two pieces to "cradle" the segments, then used rubber bands to "clamp" the two pieces of the jig together, if that makes any sense at all.

**Note I was testing with this blank and my walnut and maple were not equal thickness, so that's why the squares don't line up.
    Attached Files
    Joe
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

There's more than one way to "skin a cat" so they say. And coming up with different ways and jigs to create something is awesome. I hadn't thought of a couple of jigs like you created to do that. But that is a very simple way to do it. Congratulations on the 3D printing. Great checkerboard blank!

3 or 4 years ago, I could not imagine using a 3D printer in a small shop setting. I also didn't see the precision to which they could print. As others mentioned on the other thread, there are limits on the cheaper ones, but as I learned with early dot-matrix printers and ink jets, if you know their strength, you can create amazing things.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...