• Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

New project: iPhone/Apple watch docking station

Was looking for an excuse to get back into the woodshop after about a 6 month absence, so I needed a smallish project. My wife and I both have iPhones and Apple Watches that clutter the nightstands each night, so I decided this would be something I can easily tackle.

In searching for ideas I ran across this thread and video:
    Custom Apple Watch Charging Stand: I built this Apple Watch and iPhone charging station for my friend. We used black walnut and UHMW plastic. It turned out better than expected!

I liked the overall look and design but decided to make some changes:
    • I already have walnut and black ash on hand so I'll be using those two woods instead of the walnut/plastic that he used. I have no need for the light-up base like he made with the plastic plus I think the walnut/ash will look a little richer.
    • I wasn't fond of having multiple wires coming out the back, so I'll be building in a USB charging hub into the base. I selected this one since it had the thinnest profile (1") and the features I needed: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
    • Since this charging hub has 4 ports and I need only 2 for the watch, I'll be extending the remaining 2 to the back of the base using these short little extender cords (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00). The ends of these wires will be epoxied in to make "jacks" in the back which additional devices (e.g. an iPad) can be plugged in and also charged.
    • I'll be building the lightning (iPhone) charger cable into the base as he did. The watch charger, however, is $40 and I don't want to buy 2 more of these (we need to have ones we can take along for travel) so I need to design it so the watch charger can come out when traveling. I also don't like the wire showing down the front in his design.

So my design will thicken the base just a little to support the USB hub, and thicken the stalk to the watch so I can drill a hole down it to drop the USB-plug end of the watch charger, which will then plug into the charging hub internal to the base. The round 'donut' that holds the watch will be attached by steel dowel pins and magnets so it will be removable yet secure.

To allow for the 1" charging hub my bottom layer will be a 1" walnut frame with a 'hollow' center, then a 3/4" layer of ash, followed by a 1/2" layer of walnut on top. For the "watch stalk" I'm thinking ash with some walnut inlays, and finally the "donut" for the watch will be walnut, so basically every layer alternates woods/colors.

As mentioned above I'm building two of these - "his & hers".

I'll keep this thread posted with progress as it occurs. I got most of the pieces rough cut last night and now I have to wait for my Amazon order to come in (and some free time) before I continue too much further.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12657820_10207961519983085_1649570784020242197_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	801040
    Last edited by tfischer; 02-01-2016, 01:52 PM.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

That's going to be very cool. I've stared at this problem a number of times and never settled on using a USB hub as the power strip. I like it!
    JR

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • BT3100

Well I didn't keep this thread up to date as I was building, but the project is finished now. Here's a few pics of the final results
      Attached Files

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • BT3100

The round part of the watch holder is connected to the "stalk" with magnets, so it can just pop off if I ever need to remove the watch charger for travel (they cost like $40 so I'm too cheap to buy two new ones lol). The cord threads through a hole in the stalk and base, and plugs into the charging hub below.

this picture shows how the electronics are packed in underneath. In this pic the watch cord isn't in place... it gets wound up and placed in the empty space, and plugged into the 4th port on the USB hub.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Functional and beautiful - very nicely done!
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Nice looking projects!
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• BadeMillsap
              • Dec 2005
              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
              • Grizzly G1023SL

Very cool! Sell 'em!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
              "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
              Bade Millsap
              Bulverde, Texas
              => Bade's Personal Web Log
              => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

Looks great!
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...