• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

CA glues

Has anybody found a place to get CA glues at a good price. I typically buy the "Stick Fast" brand at Rockler for about $10 for the 2oz bottle. I see a bunch of other brands out there especially on various craft/hobby websites. Not sure how they would compare, what have you all used?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

I have used this source for many years, great products and great people to deal with.
    http://www.exoticblanks.com/Glues-and-Epoxies/
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Originally posted by Whaler
      I have used this source for many years, great products and great people to deal with.
      http://www.exoticblanks.com/Glues-and-Epoxies/
      Thanks Dick, $4.95 looks pretty good although I guess you would have to order a lot to make up for the $8 shipping :-) Is it just me or do their pen kits seem rather expensive?
      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Jon, the kit price range is pretty broad - if you check out PSI, you'll find less expensive kits, up to quite expensive. You may want to gravitate to kits that are in the $3-7 dollar range as you start out and master your technique, then add the more expensive kits.

Also, unless you have a constant/consistent use for a lot of CA, you may want to stay with smaller bottles. There have been periods when my pen production hits a short lull, during which my CA tends to start thickening up and can become unusable. Less painful if not a bigger, expensive bottle.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

I like nexabond. It's thicker, so it doesn't run everywhere or doesn't just soak into the wood. Especially the more porous species. I like the medium because it gives a little more working time.
          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park

Also, unless you have a constant/consistent use for a lot of CA, you may want to stay with smaller bottles. There have been periods when my pen production hits a short lull, during which my CA tends to start thickening up and can become unusable. Less painful if not a bigger, expensive bottle.
            Good point Bill, although my current project is turning a couple of large live edge boards into a table. A good part of the center is rather soft and I intend to use CA to soak in and harden it up. Its really hard to tell how much it will take. I have a pretty new 2oz bottle of thin and my gut says I will use all of that plus maybe a bit more. As stabalizing and filling the slabs is this weekends job I will be able to report back soon on how much I use :-)
            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

Try keeping your CA in the fridge Bill. I have several bottles that are a couple of years old at least, still as good as when purchased.

Ken

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

Ken, I've had some success with that, but not much. Not sure why. Slows it down a little, but not as much as I would hope. Think I must be doing something wrong.
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...