• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Kitchen drawer dividers

The shop got warm enough today for me to work in it.

My wife wanted dividers for the new kitchen utensil/tool drawer. I've got a ton of walnut so last weekend I grabbed the most conveniently located board--12' long, 12" wide, and 6/4 thick--and cut 50" off one end. I cut that board into a 28" board and a 22" board, then ripped it into thirds on my bandsaw. I then put a 3/4" blade on the BS and resawed the boards into 3 equal boards. After that, I planed them all down to 3/8". Today I ganged three boards together in my bench vise, and handplaned one edge flat and square, then ripped them all to 3 5/8" thick on the TS--the height of the drawer.

She had laid out the interior divider locations using Jenga pieces (she saw it on Pinterest) and I made a drawing and measured everything out. I cut the boards into their necessary lengths accounting for the depth of the groove the ends would sit and did this dry fit. I still have to cut one last divider on the right side. I was going to use my dado blade but I didn't feel like swapping out blades so I just used the same TS blade and took multiple passes. It wasn't too bad.

I was going to dado the top and bottom long boards to accept the ends of the interior dividers, but I know I'd be pushing my luck so I'm just going to glue and shoot some pin nails to hold them in place. After assembly, I'm going to do a light sanding and wipe it down with a home-brew of beeswax and mineral oil. The overall dimension is something like 28"W x 21"D.

Question. Dividers I've seen have cutouts so you can more easily get stuff out. I'm wondering if that's necessary here. I think the smallest compartment is 5"x5".

Paul
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I think it depends on width and depth of the compartments. Shallow compartments are easier to get things out of as are wide ones. Yours look wide enough but you could put the pieces on a table and test it.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by JimD
      Yours look wide enough but you could put the pieces on a table and test it.
      Good idea. Thanks

Comment

Working...