• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Lightweight Bass Amp cabinet design...

As folks might have gathered my health has been problematic as of late. Specifically I am having back / foot issues.

I play bass with friends and at my church on weekends. so moving my amplifier in and out is a HUGE effort. I have recently replaced my old Crate BX-100 100 watt 1x15 combo amp (MFG says 67 lbs, my scale says 70.5) and got as a gift a Fender Rumble V3 500 combo at a MFG rated 36.5 lbs but scale measured at 36.0 lbs...

The Rumble has the capacity for MUCH more in performance, and I would like to build a bass extension cabinet for it, instead of just buying one... Specifically I would like to build a lightweight 4x10 cab with a compression tweeter horn. Kind of like the Rumble 410 but lighter...

Has anyone here done this, and if so, what design pointers do you have for this?

From the looks of the Rumble 500 combo, I think they are using 3/8" plywood carcasses, most likely strategically braced to avoid rattling under heavy bass frequencies, just not sure how to mimic this effectively...

I figure I can finish the thing in roll on truck bed liner material for simplicity. I hate the rat fur coverings common on most DIY rigs...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
Working...