• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Stain got on the tenons??

I made a panel/frame door and decided to finish it before I glued it together. I forgot to cover the tenons and as a result, I have stain on the glue surfaces.

Will the glue joint still hold? Thinking about wiping down with mineral spirits and lightly sand before gluing. Other option is to make a new door.

Thoughts?

Lago
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

What kind of stain did you get on there? If it's a penetrating stain like your basic minwax stuff I don't think I worry to much about it.

If it's topical sort of Sickens or poly-stain mix then you should remove it.

You might get away with just a light sanding if you've got the wiggle room to work with.

But still, one would need to know what sort of stain.

-B
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• Sawatzky
      Established Member
      • Apr 2005
      • CA
      • Ridgid TS3650

I have had good luck with the Gorilla wood glue. It can be used on stained woods. I made an outdoor sign with scrolled letters, and stained the letters with minwax stain. After the stain dried I glued the letters to the sign and after 1 1/2 years it is still holding!

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Another option is to cut the tenons off and put mortises there... and use floating tenons for the joinery.

Or make a scrap mortise and tenon, stain the scrap the same way, let it dry, and then try gluing them as a test.

mpc

Comment

• lago
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Lago Vista, TX.

Sorry I didn't indicate the stain. I used Minwax prestain conditioner and Minwax oil based stain.

Lago

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

If the entire tenon is covered, I would use a shoulder plane or sharp chisel to take a sliver off. If is just the edge I wouldn't bother.

Comment

• vaking
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2005
              • Montclair, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100-1

I don't think you need to worry about stain. Glue does not adhere to some finishes, but regular oil stain is not a finish, it is just a color. your tenons are just colored wood.
              Alex V

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

I would shave off the tenon to bare wood. I followed a tip I saw in a wood mag. Cut and glue a piece of brown paper bag to the tenon so it is a snug fit. Then just glue the new tenon in like normal. The joint I did hasn't failed.

Comment

Working...