What finish will least darken Kevazinga veneer ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spendorite
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2012

What finish will least darken Kevazinga veneer ?

I have a project on which I'm applying Kevazinga veneer (rotary cut Bubinga).
    I want a finish that will least darken this veneer. Any suggestions ?
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

On the many different kinds of woods that I used to use on pens, clear lacquer and clear water based finishes including water based lacquer changed the wood tones the least.

If I was set on what I wanted and time was not a factor, I bought small cans or bottles of several finishes and tried each on a strip of wood and let them dry. If you have time, think about this method. The reason I am suggesting this is that the area of finishing you are asking is very subjective. Some people like water born finishes and some don't - because of the tone or no-tone changing effect. The degree to which it changes the tone is where people either like it or don't. Therefore, what I mentioned about trying different samples is your best bet, IMO.

That said, the one finish on pens that changed wood the least (IMO) is a difficult one to master. It is a home made finish made from cut up pieces of clear acrylic sheets dissolved in acetone. Takes a day or two to disslove and it is tricky to master in applying. But it changed the wood color the least.

The finish was almost identical to super glue, which makes up the majority of custom/home made pen finishes. Very similar to clear fingernail polish.

Hope this isn't TMI.

Edit in: Some woods are impossible to keep from changing colors/tones when finishes are applied. The Fresh cut purple hues of old growth southern walnut are impossible to keep, changing to brown when dried enough to use. No finish brings that color back. Sometimes, waxes are the best finishes.
    Last edited by leehljp; 07-10-2014, 02:23 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Spendorite
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2012

Yes, I may have to go with a clear lacquer finish. I would have preferred some
      kind of danish oil finish but I know from past experience this darkens bubinga
      wood too much.

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

Water clear, water borne finish will have the least color change. Some of them have a light blueish tint, watch for that.
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

Working...