• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

The reason why sandpaper is used on miter gauge faces

So I turned my attention back to my kitchen project.

I've had the poplar for over a year planed down to 3/4". It was all still flat. I entered all the dimensions into Cutlist and ripped everything down to width. Crosscut everything to length using my TS and Incra miter gauge and carefully grouped everything into separate piles for the stiles and rails. I'm making 15 doors so 60 parts total. My bottom rail is 3" while the top rail and stiles are 2 1/4".

Plowed a 1/4" wide, 1/2" deep groove down the center edge of each meticulously prepared board. I'm making stub tenon doors.

Then I setup to cut the tenons. Rather than burying part of my dado stack into a sacrificial fence, I clamped a spacer block to my TS fence and registered off of that block.

Everything was dialed in and I started cutting. So towards the end of my stack of 30 rails, I notice the shoulders on the opposing faces aren't always even. What the???? When I slip the tenon into the groove, the tenon bottoms out (as it should), but sometimes there's a gap between the shoulder of the rail and the stile on one or both sides--between 1/32" and 1/16".

The spacer block didn't move. The fence was clamped down.

I had clamped my block towards the front of the fence--unnecessarily far from the blade. Although I was holding the wood to the miter gauge fence face (melamine), I was doing it at a slight angle. With that far distance to travel, sometimes the wood would slip enough that I'd take too much off. If I had just spray glued sandpaper to the face (which I'm going to go do), it probably wouldn't have slipped.

I guess it didn't happen when I did the initial crosscut because I wasn't applying as much pressure to the board.

Anyway, it seems like nearly every door was affected. I am going to be gluing in the MDF panel so I'm not worried about door strength. I'm also going to be painting these doors except now I have to shim the gaps with veneer slivers or wood putty. PITA!
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

15 doors drilled for 35 mm hinges, fit to their openings, sanded and now waiting for paint

Boo boos fixed with putty

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

This is what I am doing this weekend. Maiden voyage for my Earlex Spray station. I also bought a new respirator.

Homemade drying rack using shop scraps.

I had to thin the WB BIN 1-2-3 primer about 15% to get an acceptable flow rate. To the right of the rack are some sawhorses with a turntable on top. After shooting the edges, I sprayed the doors side to side then top to bottom.

My first time spraying primer and I was truly worried it would look horrible when I saw the surface of the board. I couldn't get a smooth finish on my scrap. But once it flowed out and dried, I was really impressed.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Looking good! Running your fingers on that must feel smooth.
        (My wife once remarked that I like to 'fondle' finished wood a bit too much )

I wish I had seen your first post - it must be why my tenons this past week are off a wee bit too; I could have saved myself some angst.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by radhak
          Looking good! Running your fingers on that must feel smooth.
          (My wife once remarked that I like to 'fondle' finished wood a bit too much )

I wish I had seen your first post - it must be why my tenons this past week are off a wee bit too; I could have saved myself some angst.
          Well, if I had kept my post more succinct, you might not have missed it

I flipped the doors tonight and sprayed the fronts. The pic was taken about 1/2 hr after spraying. The center MDF panel was actually kind of rough. I guess the water in the primer raised the grain. Anyway, should be easy enough to do a light sanding before I do the topcoat. The poplar rails and stiles are smooth.

Before I did any finishing, I actually mounted the doors in their openings to check their fit. Wouldn't you know it, 2 of the doors over the fridge were each 3/4" too wide. I had some choice words. Luckily I had to 2 extra stiles with grooves already plowed. Didn't take too long to fix.
          Last edited by atgcpaul; 05-18-2014, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• trungdok
            Established Member
            • Oct 2012
            • MA

They look good!!

Comment

Working...