• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raffi
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • CA, USA.

Cue Rack Project - Suggestions

Ok folks. Now that my pool table is functioning properly, I've decided to dip back into my woodworking hobby. I'm pretty low skilled, so forgive the questions if they are off track.

I'd like to build something like the attached picture. It does not have to be as detailed as the example, because it is going into my "man cave" aka my garage.

I'll have to guess at dimensions.

Suggestions needed for attaching the left and right colums, I was thinking I would notch the base and top to fit the wood, then glue and tac.

I'd imagine the base is constructed with a several pieces of wood put together to create the look, am I off base here?

Would love to hear some ideas. Thanks.
    Attached Files
  • Brian G
    • Jun 2003
    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
    • G0899

If it's going to be in your man cave, then it should be as detailed as you like; you're worth it, right?

I suggest going to a pool/billiard store and taking a tape measure along with you. You probably can guess at dimensions, but getting the proportions right is a key visual element. The one in the photograph you attached nailed the proportion.

I think you're right that the base (pedestal) is constructed of built-up layers. Judging by my highly refined, hairy eyeball technique, the upper part (entablature) is a built up construction, too. Notching the columns (pilasters) might be more work than necessary.

I'm guessing that the ends of the pilasters are simply plinth blocks tacked onto the pilaster. This would let you screw the base layer of the pedestal and the entablature directly to the pilaster/plinth ends, and the stretchers between pilasters. These screws would be covered by the next layer of the built-up construction.

Clear as mud?
    Brian

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Another consideration if it going to be in the garage that I assume is not air conditioned is humidity. Doors on the cabinet/ rack with a drying agent inside will help keep the cues straight.

The best cues are sanded bare on the upper shaft. Used with clean, dry hands they slide smoothly and there is no need for powder that will eventually gunk up the cue. (Pool hall cues need the powder to make the varnish slide effortlessly through the hand.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Raffi
        Established Member
        • Sep 2003
        • CA, USA.

Originally posted by Brian G
        If it's going to be in your man cave, then it should be as detailed as you like; you're worth it, right?
        Heck yeah I'm worth it! I figure the more detail, the more it will over tax my limited abilities.

Comment

• Raffi
          Established Member
          • Sep 2003
          • CA, USA.

Originally posted by Pappy
          Another consideration if it going to be in the garage that I assume is not air conditioned is humidity. Doors on the cabinet/ rack with a drying agent inside will help keep the cues straight.

The best cues are sanded bare on the upper shaft. Used with clean, dry hands they slide smoothly and there is no need for powder that will eventually gunk up the cue. (Pool hall cues need the powder to make the varnish slide effortlessly through the hand.
          Great point Pappy. I will only leave my house cues in there, the good cue's go inside after playing. Right now my house cue's are a hodge podge anyway. So I will see how a socal summer affects them.

Completely agree on the talc. I rarely use it, only when my hands are particularly sweaty.

Comment

Working...