X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raleighdave
    Handtools only
    • Dec 2013

Shaping a board in headboard

I'm trying to replicate an existing style of bed headboard. It has posts on each end, with three boards between them. The stringers, or middle boards, are basically standard 1x10s. The top board is what I'm trying to figure out. The posts at each end look like a cross section of an airplane wing when you view them from the sides. Essentially flat at the back, about a 1" roundover at the top, but then widening gradually to about 3" wide as it comes down toward where the mattress hits, then tapering back down a bit toward the bottom. The posts are simple matters to do, since they're only about 1.75" thick and I have a bandsaw. The board connecting the posts is the issue. It has the same shape as the posts, so it is very similar in shape to an airplane wing. About 4" wide, varying from 1" to 2" thick, but roughly 6' long.

How would you shape a board to have the cross-section of an airplane wing that have been cut from one end to the other about 15% of the way from the front of the wing?
  • Brian G
    • Jun 2003
    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
    • G0899

I'd grumble and mumble, think about power tools I'd need to use, and then sharpen the handplane and use that.
    Brian

Comment

• rcplaneguy
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2012

I'd use a combo of rasp, hand plane, grinder, bandsaw, and large pneumatic drum sander (on my shopsmith-lathe mode).

Last edited by rcplaneguy; 12-08-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Working...