X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Workbench Questions

Thinking about making a Roubo bench. I know hardly anyone makes those anymore. What type of joinery do you guys use on the base and to attach the base to the top?
    For the base construction. I was thinking of making mortise and tenon joints but no glue. And instead use benchcrafted or veritas bench bolts? What relative size tenon do you suggest and what length?
    For attaching the base to the top I was thinking of dry m&t again. With the tenons on the 4 styles. And then putting through lag screws through the rails.

Comments? Suggestions? Pics?

Thanks
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

I built my Holtzapffel with drawbore dowels in M&T joints. Two dowels per joint, driven from the face in. I don't remember using glue, because my thought was I could replace the top at some point by drilling out the dowels.

Very simple, very strong. Would not hesitate to do it again.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Old Dutchman
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2011
      • Holland Mi
      • My BT3000

If You get on the Popular Woodworking sight, You will find all thework that Christopher Schwarz has been doing with worhbenches. The Roubo bench has been a regular topic all of last year, and if You find Schwarz's page, it is talked about in detail. You will get every thing You will need as far as information is conserned
      I have Hope, and I am Thankfull! Consider WhoWhoGreated it ALL

Comment

• trungdok
        Established Member
        • Oct 2012
        • MA

Will Myers built and documented one here http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/w...boBench-01.asp

Comment

Working...