• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lombard
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2004
    • Merritt Island, FL

Penofin Red Label Food Safe?

Hi all. I'm working on a table for my Big Green Egg. I'm building it out of western red cedar. As this is an outdoor project, I'm looking to find the best protectant for it to preserve the natural color and grain. Additionally, as this is a table for a grill, I'd like the product to be food safe.

After my research, it looks like Penofin Red Label is about the best wood treatment out there. I'm just wondering if it's food safe? Some google searching hasn't turned up anything (and penofin's website contact page doesn't seem to have a way to ask the question).

Any help?
  • tlt
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Tucson, Arizona.
    • Delta 36-682

How about adding some sort of tiled section on the top to place food? You could still use the red label to protect the wood (it is good stuff), and you'd guarantee food safety. Besides, I wouldn't want any food stains messing up that beautiful cedar

Comment

• Warren
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Anchorage, Ak
      • BT3000

I sold that product for years. While it is a rather benign and natural product, I'm fairly sure that the production standards are not hygienic enough to meet anyone's standards for food prep products.

A tile insert would be very hard on knife edges and as the oil is a deep penetrating oil a wood insert would probably become tainted.

I think the table is a grand idea, use the Penofin and keep a cutting board, wax paper, a plate or tray, etc., between the food and the table serface and you should be good to go.
      A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• lombard
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2004
        • Merritt Island, FL

Thanks guys. I am planning to do a small surface with tile or granite (to have a "hot safe" area). Not really planning on using the rest of the surface too much for food prep. Just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any issue with the occasional contact with food.

I'll hit the wood with a couple of coats of Penofin and enjoy the grill.

Comment

• Warren
          Established Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Anchorage, Ak
          • BT3000

As the Penofin is a penetrating oil and will be mostly below the surface of the wood nothing prevents you from top-coating the surface with an oil deemed to be fit for human consumption. Of course this will not sink into the wood grain as usual because of the Penofin, but it should coat well well and aid in preventing any contamination of the food. Just use it very sparingly or you'll have a greasy mess.

I'd just put a bit of vegetable oil on a paper towel and wipe the surface just prior to using the table and a clean, dry one to wipe after use. This should minimize staining of the wood through meat blood and other liquids (bastes, marinades, etc.) which will surely slop onto the table. Especially if you smoke and grill while liberally enjoying an adult beverage. Which, I believe, is the only legally accepted method of cooking meats outside.

Charcoal-beer
          Wood chunks- beer
          Pellets-beer? wine?
          Gas- . . . maybe some sort of wine.
          Electric-I haven't a clue

I really have no idea as I've never used gas or electricity to smoke or grill.

Nondrinkers should of course stick with cold, sweet tea no matter the fuel.

Grill masters in a competition of course abstain, but do fully encourage the other competitors to imbibe. Some go so far as to keep a cooler or beer on ice to be offered to their competition.

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by Warren
            I'd just put a bit of vegetable oil on a paper towel
            I think mineral oil may be a better choice, vegetable oil could turn rancid.

Comment

• Warren
              Established Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Anchorage, Ak
              • BT3000

Good point! I should of suggested a good wash-down after use.

Comment

Working...