• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Saving old Watco danish oil

This year I am finally putting my curio cabinet into our local fair. I've been threatening for years to do so and since our daughter is raising pigs for FFA and has to be at the fair daily I figured this would be a good time to also enter to save on the price of admission. Anyway in '07 when I finished the curio cabinet I never went beyond a simple stain and over the years it has faded a bit. To renew the finish a bit I chose some Watco Danish Oil, black walnut color that I've had for years. It was on the thick side. I rubbed it in with 4/0 steel wool but when it came time shortly thereafter to wipe it off I discovered it was sticky and would not wipe off. I saved the day with then switching to using boiled linseed oil also rubbed in with 4/0 steel wool. After a bit I wiped that off and the results are great. I next plan to apply a coat of paste wax the night before I drop it off at the fair. I'll post pics later.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Mark,

All I ever use is Watco. Once it gets that thick, its time to bring it to the recycling center, not pour it down the toilet.

You probably could have thinned it some with mineral spirits, but the stuff is cheap enough, if you buy it in pints, thinning and straining isn't worth the time.

BTW, I brush on the second coat and then rub in in wet with 320 grit and then wipe down with an old T-shirt. And if you're as anal as me, let it dry for a day or so and then do that again but with 400 gr.

I also found that Liberon "clear" wax applied with 4x Liberon steel wool really makes the day. And I sometimes buff my boxes with a rag wheel and jewelers rouge. Probably why it takes me so long to finish a box. And that's also why I stay away from making furniture, I don't think I'll live that long.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...