X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Extremely clever jig

Saw this posted on another forum and had to pass it along. With most jigs you can kind of see what led the person to think up that jig. You need to route a certain mortise, cut a certain angle, etc. I would have never thought of this to make a chair seat. In fact I would have never thought there was any other way but free hand with a grinder, sander, hand tools, etc. But then again I've never even attempted to make a chair so what do I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...P71RLs4#t=993s
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • jdon
    Established Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
    • BT3100

Indeed, very clever, but he clearly puts a higher priority on his rear end than on his ears or lungs- man, does that kick out a lot of dust!

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by jdon
      Indeed, very clever, but he clearly puts a higher priority on his rear end than on his ears or lungs- man, does that kick out a lot of dust!
      +1. It's hard to control the dust when doing cuts like that. The same happens with doing cove cuts, as the edges of the teeth do cutting. The jig is unique and would take some precise layout. I use inshaves/scorps and convex spoke shaves. Some woodwork looks very machine made versus hand made, like DT's done with a router and template versus hand done. Personally, I like the end result to show craftsmanship rather than machine accomplishments.

Comment

Working...