• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

How would you build this mudroom bench?

I want to build a mudroom bench and I plan on attaching it to the wall but I want it to be solid enough be moved to a different location if necessary.

For the most part it looks pretty simple to build but the part that is throwing my off is the back. Most mudroom benches like this have everything attached to the wall but if I want mine to be free standing I'm not sure how to do the back with the trim pieces. I was planing on using 1/4" hardboard and 1/4" poplar and just glue them to the hardboard but is that really the best way to do it?

• Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Since you mention hardboard, I assume you plan on painting this instead of a natural wood finish. Your back as depicted appears to be a free-standing carcase similar to a hutch or bookshelf (if I read the graphic correctly), so not clear on your concerns about mobility. For the backpanel, you could make it as you suggest (poplar strips on hardboard), or frame&panel, or any other look you prefer. If you're interested in something with "Shaker-like" appeal, you could use a bead-board instead of hardboard in the back panel and drawer-front.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

My suggestion would be to set the ¼" hardboard (tempered Masonite) in a groove, ⅜" from the back edge, and fit it snug. It will square the cabinet, and being in a groove instead of let in a rabbet, it can't be knocked out by accident, and will withstand being moved around if necessary. Just attach the trim pieces to it.

Comment

• ivwshane
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Sacramento CA

Thanks guys.

I don't see any 1/4" tempered hardboard at Home Depot but they do have it in 1/8", should I just buy two and glue them together or should I just get some 1/4 birch ply?

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by ivwshane
          Thanks guys.

I don't see any 1/4" tempered hardboard at Home Depot but they do have it in 1/8", should I just buy two and glue them together or should I just get some 1/4 birch ply?
          They have ¼" Masonite there in 4x8 sheets. If your location doesn't have it, you can use ¼" plywood, but check the thickness, as it will likely be thinner than ¼".

Comment

Working...