X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Mahogany substitue

A couple of years ago I went dumpster diving and got a lot of mahogany from a desk that was being thrown away. I had been busted up, but I managed to get a good bit of useable material. Had I been a few minutes earlier, I wouldn't have the problem I've run into.

SWMBO and I decided that we want a square coffee table. I sketched up quite a few different ideas on paper (still haven't learned SketchUp), and we came up with a design that we both like. A quick look at mahogany inventory, and I thought I had enough. So, I started building. To make the long story short, I need a couple of pieced of mahogany plywood, and I've had no luck finding any in Montgomery, AL. I've called several different places, and other than ordering from the BORG, I'm looking at 2 to 3 weeks before a lumber supplier will have some in stock.

I'm pretty sure that what I have is Honduran Mahogany (like I said, OLD desk). Do you guys have a recommendation on a substitute that would have a similar grain pattern? The whole thing will be stained to match existing living room furniture. So, color isn't quite as big an issue, although the closer to mahogany it is, the less work I'll have.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Honduran Mahogany can have some bland grain. If you can get the coloring, you could likely make Birch or Poplar look very close. Maybe you could just pick up some Mahogany veneer and laminate to any substrate to make up what you need.

Comment

• JSUPreston
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Montgomery, AL.
      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

C-man, I knew you'd have some suggestions. I may go ahead and try staining birch like you suggested. Even if it doesn't work, I could order veneer and apply it later.

I did forget to mention that when I called around, I asked about veneer as well. No luck there either. With stuff like this, I feel like George Clooney trying to find his pomade in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" Everything seems to be either in Atlanta (my version of Bristol), or it has to be ordered and will take two weeks.
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

You are like me with lumber supplies.
        Not a lot of local choice.
        This is where I get all my specific needs.
        http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
        Lee

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by JSUPreston
          C-man, I knew you'd have some suggestions.
          I don't know how far Mobile is from you, but you might luck out with Hood Distribution (McEwen Lumber Group). They sell hardwoods, hardwood plywood, and veneers. They're basically to the trade, but I think they have "counter sales" for cash type sales. Give 'em a try.
          http://www.hooddistribution.com/locations/mobile.php

Comment

• JSUPreston
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Montgomery, AL.

Originally posted by cabinetman
            I don't know how far Mobile is from you, but you might luck out with Hood Distribution (McEwen Lumber Group). They sell hardwoods, hardwood plywood, and veneers. They're basically to the trade, but I think they have "counter sales" for cash type sales. Give 'em a try.
            http://www.hooddistribution.com/locations/mobile.php

I'm about 2 1/2 hours from there. It's actually a "little" bit closer to just go to Atlanta. Then, I could hit Rockler and WoodCraft for a few things as well.

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

An interesting historical note about true mahoganies (genus Swietenia) is that seaman preferred mahogany over many other woods because it did not splinter easily when hit with a cannonball. (Fewer casualties as a result.) This info was found in Taunton's The Best of Fine Woodworking's Wood.
              Richard

Comment

Working...