X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Mobile miter saw cart

Anyone have any experience with the ones that have the flip up/out wings? There are a few different variations on the theme; Shopnotes and PW have plans for example.

I had originally dismissed the idea, as I don't have room to extend the wings. However, with having a SCMS now I'm not sure doing a 'standard' countertop style setup will work. I need a minimum of 24" of depth just to get support for the table. The whole counter (or top) would probably need to be 27-30" away from the wall.

The mobile unit would give me room to crosscut any length board I would conceivably use, but I'm worried about stability. Mobility doesn't matter to me outside the shop due to terrain. The counter has been my plan forever, but I don't know if I want to lose 3-6" of room along the walkway corridor.

Basically I'm at a true fork in the road and I need to pick a direction. Everything after is reliant on this decision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

Why not use mobile saw stands such as Ridgid makes? I have my saw mounted on one and when finished using it, it folds up to stand against the wall with the saw still attached. Just curious.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

I made Norm's mobile cart as part of his one-car-garage shop plan. I don't have specific pics for the cart, but it can be seen in my shop pics writeup.

In Norm's plans the cart would have been parked along the wall at the end of the workbench, being deployed or spun around as necessary. I have it in the middle of my shop. It's big, but very mobile. It has served me well for a number of years. Some observations:

Pro:
      • Good mobility on 3" locking casters
      • Loads of storage with two connected compartments and a huge drawer
      • Excellent versatility with two table top heights
      • Miter saw set on high table top makes it easy to eyeball cuts

Cons:
      • The fold up wings for the miter saw use shelf brackets that are not adjustable, hard to get "just right".
      • The cabinet has gotten out of square over the years, exacerbating the problem with the wings (I am 99% sure this is my fault. The one car garage shop project was the first after acquiring my BT3K and I made a number of mistakes.)
      • It's a big ol' beasty thing that consumes a lot of space. In my situation that is offset by the versatility.
      HTH,
      JR

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by conwaygolfer
        Why not use mobile saw stands such as Ridgid makes? I have my saw mounted on one and when finished using it, it folds up to stand against the wall with the saw still attached. Just curious.

Conwaygolfer
        I'd have nowhere to set it up. My shop is very small.

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

If space is your main priority the Ridgid MSUV is probably your best option. By far the best ms mobile I've ever used. check cl for a good deal.
          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by jussi
            If space is your main priority the Ridgid MSUV is probably your best option. By far the best ms mobile I've ever used. check cl for a good deal.
            There's no way that would work for me. I need to be able to use the saw in the same space it is stored, plus have storage below.

Comment

Working...