• Show
Clear All
  • Sweet Willy
    Established Member
    • May 2011
    • Near Chattanooga, TN
    • ridgid 3650

Shaker inspired step-stool

My wife has back problems and some balance problems along with it. She doesn't give in to any of it unless she has no other choice. One of the problems she faces is reaching high places for cleaning, putting up groceries and other stuff like that. So I decided to make her a step stool. I looked around the net for some ideas and inspiration. What inspired me looks nothing like what I made (LOL). But my wife LOVES the stool I did make. It makes her life much easier and feeling much more secure. Thought I'd share my design with you guys. Made with red oak with a red oak stain and two coats of hand-rubbed furniture wax. All the joints are lapped and pegged for strenth and stability. Had to cut 47, 1/4" X 3/4" dowels. Didn't take that long to cut them. Made a small jig and did it on the bandsaw. The top acts like a shelf to place stuff on while she holds on and climgs the steps. I also posted a pic of the stool that "inspired" me. Hope you all had a very merry Chirstmas!
    Dennis
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sweet Willy; 12-25-2012, 02:50 PM.
    In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
    Dennis

Sweet Willy
    sigpic
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Very nice. Sweet Willy. Not too crazy about the "inspiration" one though.
    Richard

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Neat design. The half lap joints should make it pretty strong. I like that type of finish. It really makes the grain of the red oak pop.

How come you didn't extend the front-to-back stretchers beyond the legs like you did the back ones?
      Erik

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I like the stool. Red Oak is one of my favorites. I would have used something other than wax for a top coat...like a waterbase polyurethane.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Good job Dennis, making momma happy and safe
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Sweet Willy
            Established Member
            • May 2011
            • Near Chattanooga, TN
            • ridgid 3650

Pell, I didn't extend those stretchers because I was concerned my wife could/might catch her foot on something sticking out. With her balance issues I took the safer route.
            Chop, I like the warmth that wax gives a finish and it's not slippery at all.
            phrog, I agree but it is fairly true to the Shaker design.
            In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
            Dennis

Sweet Willy
            sigpic

Comment

Working...