Attaching end-grain cylinder to end grain column?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gator95
    Established Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Atlanta GA
    • Ridgid 3660

Attaching end-grain cylinder to end grain column?

Attaching 2" diameter turned 12" long legs (red oak) to the bottom of a 2.5" square poplar column as part of a daybed project. Will be doing this 4 times, once for each leg.

What is the best method for attachment, given that there will be mainly longitudinal load stress down the leg, but also potentially some lateral as well. Gut feel is that 1/2" dowels aren't going to cut it.

Thinking about a double-ended mid/large gauge screw, but would love to hear other thoughts.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by Gator95
    Attaching 2" diameter turned 12" long legs (red oak) to the bottom of a 2.5" square poplar column as part of a daybed project. Will be doing this 4 times, once for each leg.

What is the best method for attachment, given that there will be mainly longitudinal load stress down the leg, but also potentially some lateral as well. Gut feel is that 1/2" dowels aren't going to cut it.

Thinking about a double-ended mid/large gauge screw, but would love to hear other thoughts.
    If you haven't done it yet, I would have turned a tenon on the dowel, and a mortise for the column.

Comment

• seahawk
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2012
      • Maryland
      • BT 3000 x 2!

Tennon or Dowel

Strongly agree with Cabinetman.

If you are still turning, make a tennon on the turned piece.

If you can't turn a tennon, use a dowel about 1".

Any screw into end grain is not too strong.

If you must use a screw, recommend you make it LONG and drill a pilot hole.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

+1, my first thoughts as well. Perfect fit in this case. The screw could further weaken the structure by splitting the grain, mortise and tenon, no splitting - unless you use a hammer for assembly
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...