• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

brazilian cherry countertop finish?

I've decided to finish off my laundry room with a Brazilian cherry counter top from left over flooring craps I had. I've already cut the pieces down and I'll be glueing them up and planing them soon but I have questions on the type of finish to use.

I've done some image searches and I have found counter tops that I like and they seem to be using marine oil and Fruitwood coloring. I searched for both but didn't come up with anything that made me feel positive I found the right product.
    Since this top wont be used for food preparation what do you guys recommend I use? I believe I just want the natural color to show through (which appears to be red/orange) and I want the top to look natural as opposed to my flooring which looks like it has a satin finish coat to it.

This site has several pics that show what I'm looking for:

I like the 2nd picture down with the white sink in it.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

How you finish it would depend on what skills you have and if you are equipped to spray...you didn't say. To maintain the natural color of the wood and leave it with a natural look and feel without making it look like plastic, would be to sand to 220x. I recommend using a silicone carbide sandpaper (light gray), intended for dry use. It could be labeled "No-Fil", or "Fre-Cut". It's an open coat sandpaper.

I would use a waterbase gloss polyurethane, and after some build coats, lightly abrade the surface with a white Scotchbrite pad with the direction of the grain. This will flatten out the shine. The waterbase polyurethane will stay clear, dries fast, and cleans up with water.

The only other media that will impart little to no amber tone would be a blond shellac, making your own using flakes. It's somewhat of a PITA, but will add very little amber. It's not as durable of a finish as waterbase polyurethane.

Comment

• ivwshane
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Sacramento CA

My finishing skills suck. I do have a sprayer but it's of the harbor freight variety (I used it to spray acrylic paint).

I'll look into your recommendations, thanks!

Comment

Working...