• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Architectural Scale Models

It all started with a phone call. An architect calls and wants to know if I can sell Plexiglas cut to size. I say sure. So, he starts reading off a list of sizes that are very small. I was writing them down and after a bunch, I and told him it would take a while to figure out what the prices would be, and would call him back.

The sizes were like ¼" square by 3" long, 2" by 4", 1" by 4", and on and on. It seemed like a real waste of time to be cutting up all those tiny pieces. I called him and asked what they were for. He said he is making a model building, and would rather have it made than do it himself. So, he brings in a huge roll of plans for a multi level condominium to be set up in a sales office for pre construction sales.

The whole structure was an inner core of Plexiglas, and all the exterior was added to it. I pulled these pictures out of storage. The pictures below are from many years ago and aren't that good, but show some of what went into my first scale model. The scale is 1/8" = 1'-0". The model is over 30" tall.
    This first picture shows the pieces assembled in just one vertical balcony assembly.

This picture is the first level front entrance roof.

This is the roof section.

A side elevation. There is a pack of cigarettes there to see the overall size comparison.

Front elevation.

Front elevation installed on the site plan with landscaping, set up in the sales office.

Side elevation installed on the site plan with landscaping, set up in the sales office.

Thanks for looking.

• greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

Very cool!! Obviously a long time ago--today you'd use a cell phone for perspective, and absolutely no sign of a nicotine laced product anywhere!!

earl

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Pretty cool. That looks tedious, though.

Is it just me or is the sound track to Hawaii Five-O playing?

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by greenacres2
        Very cool!! Obviously a long time ago--today you'd use a cell phone for perspective, and absolutely no sign of a nicotine laced product anywhere!!

earl
        Thanks. Yes...no cellphones then. Not my tobacco.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Great work! I hope that got you a lead on cabinets for that job! That would be one **** of a project, very cookie cutter and slim margins usually on condos, but work is work.
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
            Great work! I hope that got you a lead on cabinets for that job! That would be one **** of a project, very cookie cutter and slim margins usually on condos, but work is work.
            Back then I wasn't equipped to do production cabinets. There were several companies in Miami with huge spaces and many employees that could turn out 50-75 (or more) kitchens a day. That was when the condo boom was at a peak.

Comment

Working...