X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Shop cabinets construction

I'm fleshing out the latest (and hopefully last) layout for my shop, and wanted to get some opinions about how I should construct the floor cabs, specifically the tops. I've watched Norm put together his miter cabinet probably 20 times, and notice in particular how he constructs a base for the top out of half-lap 2x4s. Then ply and hardboard on top of that.

I'm considering going this route, because with the cabs I have now, there's not any bracing below the surface over drawers. Items like my hollow chisel mortiser bow the top, even with a front stretcher (horizontal, not vertical) 3/4" ply under it. The other option is to put in a vertical stretcher (about 3" of 3/4" ply) running either front to back or side to side (perhaps one in front and back) in a dado that would help distribute the weight.

Just wondering which way you've gone or would go. I'll be putting my mortiser on a mobile cabinet, so my main miter saw cabinet area won't see a ton of weight in one particular spot (except for the miter saw depression, which will be taken care of), but I want it built to last.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

double up the 3/4" plywood on the top.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

If you don't mind spending a little time on it you could joint and glue up some douglas fir boards for a butcher block. Extremely sturdy and looks pretty cool too.
      I've also made a torsion box top for my assembly table. It's dead flat but takes alot of time.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...