Any use for (glued down) laminate that has been removed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tohellwithuga
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • GA

Any use for (glued down) laminate that has been removed?

The builder next door put down the wrong laminate flooring over the entire house, and has ripped it out. He said I could have it if I wanted it, but I'm trying to figure out if there is any use for it. What could I use it for, potentially? Since it was previously glued down, it would probably be too much trouble to actually try to reuse it for flooring (I am finishing the basement, and could actually use the flooring if it worked)

Or should I just pass on this?

• steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

I have used flooring wood (birch) for several project after planing off the finish on the top side and grooves on the underside. Works very well for small projects and parts. Generally, in my experience the wood turns out to be pretty good, flat and dry.

I don't know if you can plane or sand off the glue and a tiny amount of the underside so the boards are still useful. Frankly, I wouldn't think sanding would be worth the time, but planing might.

I will be interested in learning what you decide and how it goes.

Regards, Steve.

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Some have used flooring as ZCTP stock. You could edge glue it and use it as a thick veneer or just small box stock. I can think of lots of uses but I also see how it would be a pita to deal with.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• tohellwithuga
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • GA

Well, I was too slow. Some contractor backed up their van and is loading it up right now. Oh well...

Comment

• tohellwithuga
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • GA

Thanks for the replies, btw

Comment

Working...