Clear All
  • steveg
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2010
    • Norman, OK
    • Craftsman 315.228110 (Ryobi BT3000)

Finishing question...

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm wondering about a good "polyurethane" type product to use for the woodwork in my theater room. I'm still trimming the room out, but thinking ahead, I will be staining the woodwork and then looking to finish with some type of clear polyurethane or similar product.

I have used various different types of poly in the past, but just wondering what you guys would suggest as an easy-to-use product that would brush on smooth and leave a nice finish.

OH -- if it matters, only the baseboards and door casings, in the hallway leading to the room, are yellow pine; in the main theater part of the room, the woodwork is red oak...

Steve
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

You mention stain and if that is the way you go with the oak then I would use Resisthane. You can brush it but it dries so fast you have to be good with your technique. I prefer to spray it. My favorite finish for red oak is oil based poly. The slight amber effect of the oil based looks nice on oak IMHO. I haven't seen much difference between brands. I just pick some up at the home center.

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by steveg
      Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm wondering about a good "polyurethane" type product to use for the woodwork in my theater room. I'm still trimming the room out, but thinking ahead, I will be staining the woodwork and then looking to finish with some type of clear polyurethane or similar product.

I have used various different types of poly in the past, but just wondering what you guys would suggest as an easy-to-use product that would brush on smooth and leave a nice finish.

OH -- if it matters, only the baseboards and door casings, in the hallway leading to the room, are yellow pine; in the main theater part of the room, the woodwork is red oak...

Steve
      I like using an oil base stain and wiping it on. As for a "polyurethane", I use a waterbase, which stays clear, dries very fast, has no odor to speak of, and cleans up with water.

If you choose an oil base polyurethane, most of the over the counter brands are very similar. The same holds true for a non-poly oil base varnish.

Comment

• steveg
        Forum Newbie
        • May 2010
        • Norman, OK
        • Craftsman 315.228110 (Ryobi BT3000)

JimD --

Appreciate the stain recommendation, but I already have the stain purchased. I bought the same kind we used on the woodwork in the rest of our home, from Kelly Moore.

Sounds like from both of you though, if I use water or oil-based, either way, there is not much difference between brands...

Thanks guys,

Steve

Comment

Working...