X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bmuir1616
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2008

Polyurethane over latex paint

I am building a Thomas the Train table for my grandson. It's an Ikea hack but the top and bottom will be 3/4 birch plywood. I want to paint the top and bottom. And, I want the finish to be durable; especially the wooden edging around the top.
    After I paint the top and bottom, can I use water-based polyurethane over the top to give it a tough finish?
    If not, what?
    Thanks for the help,
    Bill
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

If the paint is dry, you can use oil base or water base polyurethane.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Polyurethane, either the water-born or oil will over time yellow. The oil will look more yellow right away and the water will take 5 years or so. If you put on several coats and rub them out between coats you will get a finish that rather looks like a nicely layed lead based enamel paint job. There will be a depth to the finish and you can lay on another coat to the top when it gets scratched without having to paint the whole thing.

For a clear protective coat that takes longer to yellow use deep base acrylic paint without any tint in it. It looks white in the can but like water based poly it turns clear when dry. It is usually an indoor/outdoor paint and has UV protection too. To make sure you get the right paint have them color test it at the paint counter first.

Bill
      on the left coast

Comment

Working...