• Show
Clear All
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

Will this work?

I have been building new kitchen cabinets from oak plywood. I am using waterborne lacquer (clear) for the finish. All is good.

However, I want to stain the bathroom vanities after making them. I plan on using an oil stain but am not sure if waterborne lacquer is suitable for the final finish. Can I use water over oil? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Conwaygolfer
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Originally posted by conwaygolfer
    I have been building new kitchen cabinets from oak plywood. I am using waterborne lacquer (clear) for the finish. All is good.

However, I want to stain the bathroom vanities after making them. I plan on using an oil stain but am not sure if waterborne lacquer is suitable for the final finish. Can I use water over oil? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Conwaygolfer
    I would suggest making sure the oil stain is completely cured, then a coat of super blonde shellac over the stain, then the lacquer.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I'm not sure what "lacquer" you may intend to use, but isn't the moisture (showers, steamy baths) normally found in bathrooms going to present some serious problems?

While I understand that there are "water-based" lacquers, I've always been of the impression that "water" will leave white-stains on traditional solvent-based lacquers.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Once the oil base stain is completely dry you can topcoat it with any film finish. You need no shellac. "Waterbase lacquer" is basically the same as waterbase polyurethane. Solvent base lacquer is totally different.

Comment

• conwaygolfer
          Established Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Conway, SC.
          • BT3000

Thanks

for the info - I knew Cabinetman would know the answer. I will wait til its completely dry before applying the lacquer.

Thanks again,
          Conwaygolfer

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
            Once the oil base stain is completely dry you can topcoat it with any film finish. You need no shellac. "Waterbase lacquer" is basically the same as waterbase polyurethane. Solvent base lacquer is totally different.

Good to know—thanks!

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...