• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

Box Joint Glue-up

Any suggestions on gluing thin finger joints? I'm making a box with 1/8" finger joints. Now I gotta figure out how to glue it up. Gonna be a lot of fingers that need a lot of glue ... fast.

What's a good way to get glue into all of the fingers? Can't swell up the fingers too much before assembly. Suggestions for slow setting glue?

BTW - I used my old Lynn's jig to make the finger joints. Haven't used it for 10 years. Perfect joint first time.

Thanks for your help,

- Lonnie
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

If it were me I'd make another male/female cut on a scrap board and glue brushes in there. Have a little trough you could dip the heads in and you have an all-at-once glue brush. Take the time to set them just right and you can glue them all if you glue one.

Can scale it down or up as you want.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Daryl
      • May 2004

Assemble one corner at a time, put just a bit of glue along the edge so that when you put it together it will pull the glue in.
      Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by Daryl
        Assemble one corner at a time, put just a bit of glue along the edge so that when you put it together it will pull the glue in.
        +1. Good fitting box joints don't need a lot of glue. Use TB III, or Titebond "Extend" if you need more time.

Comment

Working...